Passenger door alignment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach145

Reaction score
My Car
i recently purchased a 71 mustang coupe 351c c6 automatic transmission. It's in rough shape and I'm focused on restoring it. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks
How do I raise the alignment on my door to allow it to shut? Right now I have to lock it, then pull the handle up and lift the door slightly to shut it...

How do I raise the alignment on my door to allow it to shut? Right now I have to lock it, then pull the handle up and lift the door slightly to shut it...
Sounds like your door hinges are worn out. You can remove the hinges and rebuild them by installing new pins and bushings. Pretty straightforward and inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your door hinges are worn out. You can remove the hinges and rebuild them by installing new pins and bushings. Pretty straightforward and inexpensive.
Awesome, thanks

the hinges allow movement both fore and aft and up and down-but getting to them is easiest with the fender removed. Both my doors could stand to come straight back about 1/8th inch and when it bothers me enough I'll pull the fenders and do it (I said that the day I got the car about 5 years ago-it still hasn't bothered me that much.)

Went to adjust the door... And I think I see the problem... LolImageUploadedByTapatalk1414945311.029659.jpg has anyone got a good website/ location for bolts and other odds and ends for these mustangs?

OMS? I'm new to this lol

Awesome! Thanks

Awesome! Thanks
Just another tip. Before you remove the hinges drill a couple of alignment holes in the size of the nails that you want to use. It will help getting the doors aligned more easily later on because they will be in the exact position that they were when you took them off. There is a lot of adjustability and it can be a pain to get the door aligned again.

So your saying drill out where these bolts are? I'm not familiar with any nails... First time ever doing this

If your doors have good alignment. Drilling dowel holes thru the hinge in both the door and car side will help realign the door when you put the door back on. If your alignment is off the dowel holes wont do you much good.

Ah, ok I think I understand. I'll post more when parts come in for it

I saw some of your other pictures of the door hinge area... at this point, you're going to want to pull the fenders, take off the doors, and see what's really going on. All that rust, along with the broken doors, you're going to want to seriously consider finding some "new" doors (either reproduction Dynacorn doors, or some good ones from a donor car).

Until you get the rust damage under control no amount of alignment trickery will get you anywhere.

Like I said in the other thread, I hate throwing out the bad news, but I learned the hard way myself with some very similar issues.

Hope this helps! And remember, we're all here for ya. :D

I saw some of your other pictures of the door hinge area... at this point, you're going to want to pull the fenders, take off the doors, and see what's really going on. All that rust, along with the broken doors, you're going to want to seriously consider finding some "new" doors (either reproduction Dynacorn doors, or some good ones from a donor car).

Until you get the rust damage under control no amount of alignment trickery will get you anywhere.

Like I said in the other thread, I hate throwing out the bad news, but I learned the hard way myself with some very similar issues.

Hope this helps! And remember, we're all here for ya. :D
Is helps a lot, yes new doors are the way to go I believe. And I have no problem with that as long as I can find some

Thanks I'll have to get those

Thanks I'll have to get those

Back