"Ram Air": Truly functional...or a gimmick?

Guest Kit Sullivan

From the research I did before buying my M-Code Mach 1, I looked at figures available online to see what, if any, differences there were between non-RA and RA and there are none quoted. Or none that I can find.

In other words, if you look at a set of performance data for a Mustang engine, it appears there's no additional HP figures available for Ram-Air.

From what I can gather, the system uses a vacuum operation to enable the ram-air operation, so I'm taking that to mean it's supposed to operate at higher engine / road speeds. This tends to support many comments above that, if anything, ram-air will only be effective on large throttle openings and / or when travelling fast.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

I don't have ram-air on my Mach 1, just dummy scoops. I love the look of those surface nostrils and NACA ducts. They look so 'right', to my eyes.

Si < - This is my name

1971 Mach 1 Fastback. M-Code. 4-Speed Hurst. < - This is my Mustang

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she doesn't even notice. Or care.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Kit Sullivan

The factory HP ratings were achieved with engine on a stand, uninstalled in a car. Ram air or any other supplemental cold air induction system cannot work on a static engine stand, therefore no increased rating for ram air equipped engines.

I'm in the process of installing a dual snorkel air cleaner that will be routed with flex hose to the fender wells since I have a flat hood on my fastback with no ram air possible here. I sourced the air cleaner and duct work from an 85 mustang Gt, painted the base old ford blue, polished the aluminum top a bit and reused my K&N from my previous setup. The snorkel extensions are on order and I will post up pics and any gains if noticed when it is finished. My car is a sportsroof restomod so I am trying to keep it correct looking but doesn't have to be 100% original. Excellent read on the ram air system by the way and am willing to bet my fresh air system will add a bit of power especially in the cooler months similar to the ram air system.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

I have the answer.

We all know Ram Air was only available in 1973 with the 2v Cleveland because they didn't test it with a 4v so the Government wouldn't let them sell them. Don't you trust the government to know?

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I'm in the process of installing a dual snorkel air cleaner that will be routed with flex hose to the fender wells since I have a flat hood on my fastback with no ram air possible here. I sourced the air cleaner and duct work from an 85 mustang Gt, painted the base old ford blue, polished the aluminum top a bit and reused my K&N from my previous setup. The snorkel extensions are on order and I will post up pics and any gains if noticed when it is finished. My car is a sportsroof restomod so I am trying to keep it correct looking but doesn't have to be 100% original. Excellent read on the ram air system by the way and am willing to bet my fresh air system will add a bit of power especially in the cooler months similar to the ram air system.

Hey Mike... Did you get something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Capri-5-0L-HO-Dual-Snorkel-Air-Cleaner-1983-85-/301377664072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462b823448&vxp=mtr

I'd like to eventually do the dual snorkel intake thing to my car. Thanks...

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

Yup, that's the one. I got the plastic extensions for it from laurel mountain mustang today and managed to get the drivers side tubing fitted to the fender apron, tomorrow I am going to try and fit the passenger side. This system looks like just the ticket for a car with a flat hood and should definately perk things up from just an open air cleaner. The major draw back is having to use 3 1/2" hole saw on my new fender aprons to install the intake tubing, which coincidentally ended up being in the same spot as my 87 mustang was from the factory. It should look sort of original when I finish the install on my 73 restomod:)

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

Yup, that's the one. I got the plastic extensions for it from laurel mountain mustang today and managed to get the drivers side tubing fitted to the fender apron, tomorrow I am going to try and fit the passenger side. This system looks like just the ticket for a car with a flat hood and should definately perk things up from just an open air cleaner. The major draw back is having to use 3 1/2" hole saw on my new fender aprons to install the intake tubing, which coincidentally ended up being in the same spot as my 87 mustang was from the factory. It should look sort of original when I finish the install on my 73 restomod:)

Thanks Mike... Please post some good pictures when you're done

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I once read a guy built a cold air kit that worked "too well" and at freeway speeds caused a lean condition. If the ram air on out cars really worked (besides adding a little cooler air) wouldn't we experienced something similar?

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I once read a guy built a cold air kit that worked "too well" and at freeway speeds caused a lean condition. If the ram air on out cars really worked (besides adding a little cooler air) wouldn't we experienced something similar?

Was you reading from newer mustangs? on some newer car with air sensors and turbo's and such, you mite run into a leaning issue, everything needs to match thou even on carbs.

Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake. Additional problems can result from using a short ram intake in cars utilizing a mass airflow sensor though most of today's sensors automatically adjust without issue. Turbulence in the intake airflow produced by the filter or piping, or a change in intake diameter at the point where the airflow is measured can produce inaccurate airflow readings. The error in airflow then translates to an error in the amount of added fuel. In the worst case, the air/fuel ratio can run lean

Cold air intakes are more important on a fuel injected engine than a normally aspirated one. The reason is that as air passes through the carb and picks up fuel it creates a cooling effect. So much so that with some long runners and engine combinations the manifold can actually ice up! I helped work on a corvair engined trike that a friend built and he had built a custom tubular intake and I witnessed ice on the tubes first hand after he rode it on a 45 degree day.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Guest Kit Sullivan

Theoretically, you could not ever cause a lean condition by introducing excessive air into the induction, for sevetal reasons:

1) the A/F ratio on our cars is controlled by vacuum created in the carburetor venturi (the Bernoulli effect). More air-flow through the carb creates more vacuum, drawing the comensurate amount of gasoline from the bowls into the fuel-stream.

The only circumstances that could cause a lean mixture are incorrectly-sized jets, or just overall a too-small CFM-rated carb.

You just could not ever induce enough airflow into a naturally-aspirated engine to the point of overwhelming the carb's ability to supply proper gasoline flow...assuming it is a properly tuned and sized carb.

However, any type of ( turbo or supercharging) forced-induction can easily give a carb fits and cause a lean condition. Extra care must be used in selecting carbs and carb tuning for a blow-through forced-induction system.

I finished up the twin snorkel fenderwell fresh air intake install and must say I am very happy with the way it turned out, the car runs and sounds great and picked up noticably likely in part to the 13 x 2" open drop base air cleaner that I had on it before the swap. Right now I'm running the flappers on the snorkels open all of time but when it starts getting cold out I'll hook up the vacuum line allowing warm under hood engine heat through risers and valves in to the air cleaner when vacuum is high and the flaps are closed. It really is a nice set up that should work very well for a long time. I will take pics of where I'm at with it and start a new thread on it tomorrow.

Since this related to the Ram Air set up.

I just pulled my old aircleaner out of storage, and the 40+ year old gasket around the the aircleaner has finally deteriorated to the point of being un-usuable.

Can anyone tell me their experience about using the reproduction gasket on the original Ram Air aircleaner?

Thanks

I feel like the RAM-AIR thing is just a gimmick to promote sales. Similar to how the tach goes up to 8000 RPM or the deck lid spoiler.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you sure as Hell don't have time to do it right the second time.

Dutch uncle