Are these factory?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72MustangCoupe

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
2014 Mustang Convertible
In many other posts, I have explained that me and my dad are restoring a completely original 1972 mustang coupe. It is gold glow (6F) with a white vinyl top and ginger interior. 302 2v car with power disc brakes and power steering. There is no AC. This car was ziebart coated in 1972 and shows very very little rust. This car is 99.99% rust free. we bought it lar year (November 27) and since then the car has been completely dissassembled and is basically a shell. All panels are being painted this week and we are left to just pull the engine before sending the actual car. I removed the valve covers last week, and noticed that the valve springs are a bright orange. For a 302 2v car... Was this factory or have they been changed? I also noticed that one of the valve covers is a darker blue then the other and has running paint down it. Was it repainted later or a simple factory fix? I have all documentation to this car and every little piece has been original leading up to this... Just a question. Me and my dad are both new to restoration although he is an engineer at ford motor company and is a plant manager so he has quite a bit of background to this stuff. Also, when we pull the engine, can we pull the transmission with it? Anyone have experience pulling a 302 2v and want to give us some tips? Thank you all very much.

image.jpg

Hi, I can't verify if the orange springs are original or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they painted them to keep folks from mixing them up with other engines.

The engine and tranny can come out as a unit. I have done it several times with a 351C/C6. Tips: Fluid will leak from the back of the transmission. Also, best done with 2 people but can be done with one. Before you start make sure there is enough clearance for the cherry picker above the car. It take a lot of height to get them out as a unit.

I have redone a few heads and have seen these before. Not every one has them but I do believe they are original

Back