My 429 Personalized Stats Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
Just got this back from Marti yesterday. 1 of 2 built exactly like mine. I'm hoping they can help determine if my car was one of, or the last 429 built.

2ur73ih.jpg

Wow, I'll bet that car is fun to drive. Oh, wait...it is!
You should hear her now. The new exhaust sounds incredible! She is at a local shop getting the new carb installed, a full MSD ignition system upgrade and an overall tune up. Hopefully I'll have her back early next week and can find out just how much of a beast she really is!

Thanks again Kit for all the help in getting this car bought!

Remember to upload a video with the new exhaust system installed! That car sounds to be a lot fun to drive with that big block in front and the low gears in back :D
I sure will. It actually doesn't have the original 4.11 gears, though it does have the #s matching 9" rear end. I believe it currently has 3.50s. Once I get it back and get some miles on it I'll decide for sure which route I want to go. Probably not all the way to 4.11s but around a 3.93.

Just got this back from Marti yesterday. 1 of 2 built exactly like mine. I'm hoping they can help determine if my car was one of, or the last 429 built.
Could you imagine if you tracked down the other one! ;)
That would really be something. But the chances it is even out there somewhere are pretty small. Actually finding it would be needle in a haystack worthy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel, I can't wait to hear that new exhaust...I am sure it sounds like it looks now. Be sure to post a video once you get it back.

What size pipes and what mufflers did you go with?

With the new carb, the MSD and a fat tune-up that thing is really gonna' rock.

Man, if only I had the money, that thing would have stayed with me....:)

This is your Dark Green Metallic fleet order J-code?

4:11's and a 429 in a rental car. Yep; greatest rental car ever. Wouldn't be surprised if the other duplicate to yours is also part of the same fleet order.

-Kurt

This car was never a rental car. Would have been cool to rent this thing back in the day, though!

This car was never a rental car. Would have been cool to rent this thing back in the day, though!
Sure makes one wonder what drove some eclectic fleet buyer to order this and at least 4 other cars though...

-Kurt

Whomever ordered that car had one thing in mind! Fast runs.
The story with the car is that it was bought for drag racing and that the original engine was blown in the first few months.
Darn,

Sounds like a warranty issue. Should not have broken in just a couple months. Drag racing was covered under warranty. Of course it was!

With Joel's permission:

The original indeed failed within a few months of delivery and was replacd under warranty. That engine then failed 6 years later.

Last edited:
With Joel's permission:

The original indeed failed within a few months of delivery and was replacd under warranty. The engine failed 6 years later.
Kit,

Did the previous owner know if this car was the last or at least almost the last 429 Mach 1 produced that late in July 1971?

Back