Intro from TX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach-1
Bright Blue Metallic, and Silver
351 C, Standard Transmission, Deluxe Interior with fold down rear seat
Greetings from Jay in TX!

I have a 71 Mach-1 I've owned since 1980, as things can happen, life got in the way, and I parked her in the garage for 20+ years.

We just got it running again, and I'm in the process of bringing my old-timer back to life, so I can be one of those old guys that kids hate, with a fun car.

Things have really changed since my "daze" back in the 80s when I used to run around in my first love. I'm just glad I kept her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it very, very, well.

Spent a lot of days, and nights running the Mach-1 as a daily driver back in the 80s

Mach-1copy_zps4383eab9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from West Texas! Nice lookin' Mach 1 - glad you were able to keep it all this time. ::thumb::

The photo was from around 84, right now the car needs paint, and interior work from sitting up for so long.

It's running now, and currently being finished up mechanically, from front to back.

I'm getting caught up with all the changes in the vintage Mustang scene since I took a little break, I will be getting a report next, since back in day with the car was pre-internet.

The Mach-1 has some odd options, it has the deluxe interior with fold down seat, AC, and I was told back in the day, an odd manual steering box.

Engine is a 351 2V, and was converted way back in 80', with an Edelbrock 2V to 4V aluminum intake that fit the 2V heads.

I also put an original ram air set up on it, that I picked up when I bought the car.

The original owner gonzo'ed the 3 speed manual, and switched it to a toploader 4speed, before I got the car in 80, he also cut speaker holes in the rear trap door side panels, that I wish I had replaced back in the 80s.

When I had it repainted in 81, a now long gone Local Mustang parts guy talked me into getting a chrome bumper, and very "generously" offered to take that old cracked urethane bumper off my hands...Needless to say, I'm in the market for the correct front bumper now.

We are brethren of sorts here. I bought my car in 83. Drove it, raced it, hot rodded it, then parked it for over twenty years as well. I joined up here a few month ago because I too was astounded by the amount of parts / mods / and data that was available out there after I decided to jump back in. There is an enormous amount of knowledge and experience posted on this site. After surfing enumerate old posts ,asking questions, and watching all the new posts my entire line of thought regarding how I was going to resurrect my old horse has changed. Stay tuned there is next to nothing that these folks can't address if you need anything.

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

I started out in 1978 with a red 73 Sportsroof 351C, it turned out to be a wreck magnet, and now reportedly resides somewhere in Australia, according to who I sold it to way back then.

Disappointed in the bad luck I had with the 73 (Long Long Story) I was looking for another 71-73, and at the time they all seemed to vanish for sale in Houston at the time.

In December of 80, an ad in the local paper had a Mach-1 for sale by owner, I called the guy who ironically lived only a few blocks from me, so I went by to look at it. It wasn't driveable due to a separated clutch disc, I made him an offer in cash right before Christmas, and bought the Mach-1 Christmas Eve of 80, it has been mine ever since.

I think it was the best thing I ever got for Christmas, and probably ever will get.

Back