1972 Mustang Coupe Tire & Wheel Combo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
I have a 1972 Coupe that I want to get some new shoes for her and I have done a lot of research and reading through forum posts but it seems it is all in regard to Mach 1 cars and I wasn't sure if the fitment is the same for wheels and tires on both coupes and fastbacks?

Combo I am looking at is:

Front: 245/45/R17 on a 17x8 Rim with 4.5" Backspace

Rear: 275/40/R17 on a 17x9 Rim with 5" Backspace

Can anyone confirm fitment of this for the coupes? No rub at full turn? My suspension is stock, so it is probably sagged a little but it is not lowered.

Thanks, Aaron

This is her right now with some ugly 14" rims and roller skate tires!

And side view profile
Too bad you're not in Florida. I could use that set of ugly 14" rims and roller-skate tires ;)

-Kurt

I have 17's with 245 rear and 225 front and I was planning to go to larger tires to get a little more rubber on the road. There is plenty of room in the wheel wells. It does make the ride far stiffer and less forgiving. I lowered my car quite a bit to look right when it was all said and done.

1412120751105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My main concern is all my fitment data is for Mach 1 or Fast backs...Mine is a restomod coupe and I just wanted to know if the fitment in wheelwells and suspension part clearance is the same for coupes and fast backs so I would know if my wheel tire combo will work.

My main concern is all my fitment data is for Mach 1 or Fast backs...Mine is a restomod coupe and I just wanted to know if the fitment in wheelwells and suspension part clearance is the same for coupes and fast backs so I would know if my wheel tire combo will work.
Tire fit for Coupes and Sportsroof/Mach 1s are identical. I believe it is the same for convertibles as well.

-Kurt

Tire fit for Coupes and Sportsroof/Mach 1s are identical. I believe it is the same for convertibles as well.

-Kurt
Thank you Kurt, I appreciate the confirmation! Will be placing my order and will post pics once they are installed.

I can't imagine the coupes are any different than the fastbacks. I have a '73 Mach-1 and went with that exact setup. No rubbing and it looks great.

Here is a photo of the wheels I chose, they are the MB Wheel Old School Chrome! A little bit of the torque thrust flavor with a modern sharper touch.

I can't wait to get these 275/40/ZR17 mounted!

image.jpg

20141110_123421.jpg

73StangCoupe I just checked out your photo albums! Beautiful car! I particularly love that steering wheel, who makes that and where can they be found? and yes, I will definitely post pics once they are mounted, just ordered the wheels today so probably about 2 weeks before it all comes together!

I have 18's on mine tires are 245/45/18 and I need beefier tires in the rear.

20140223_141948.jpg

73StangCoupe I just checked out your photo albums! Beautiful car! I particularly love that steering wheel, who makes that and where can they be found? and yes, I will definitely post pics once they are mounted, just ordered the wheels today so probably about 2 weeks before it all comes together!
Thanks Keena... you're probably talking about the steering wheel that was on the car when I bought it. I believe that was a grant like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TPJBBM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1415722314&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#immersive-view_1415722341732

I wanted a more stock look so I changed it to a nice stock two spoke wheel. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the new tires and wheels look. Good luck...

I have 18's on mine tires are 245/45/18 and I need beefier tires in the rear.
Very sharp looking Coupe. I like the color and the stance.

Thanks Keena... you're probably talking about the steering wheel that was on the car when I bought it. I believe that was a grant like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TPJBBM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1415722314&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#immersive-view_1415722341732

I wanted a more stock look so I changed it to a nice stock two spoke wheel. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the new tires and wheels look.

This is the photo I was referring to. I like the thicker wheel and 4 spoke design. If you don't want it, I'll buy it :) I'll have to look around and see if I can find one like it.

193_22_06_12_2_55_48.jpeg

Back