Full Cowl Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehcode

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Hcode in grabber green metallic
I showed this awhile back on my build thread but I figured some of you might haven't seen it.I tried to be thorough as possible and provide good pics. First off the front end, dash and windshield will need to be removed.I started by removing both cowl to shock tower braces with a spot weld bit and some time. Drilled the upper cowl out then finally the lower.
o0tiyp.jpg
b3vg9x.jpg
dy23r7.jpg
24cb0wy.jpg
then I grind and dolly everything flat and coat with Copperweld weld thru primer. Now you punch your holes in the dynacorn lower cowl, line it up and weld into place.
11ipmpf.jpg
grind the welds flat to prepare it for the upper.
2duxgyw.jpg
next I seam sealed around the horns in the lower cowl
9rr3gi.jpg
went ahead and taped up the lower and painted it with valspar semi gloss black since you lose all access once the upper cowl is installed
2qwzvk6.jpg
311medv.jpg
now your ready to prep the upper. Punch all your holes in it and get it fit. Before installing it I ran a bead of seam sealer around the inner perimeter so no water could settle between the two panels, then before the sealer dries install the upper where it needs to be by screwing it into place
b5ntab.jpg
35hph1y.jpg
now your ready to weld thr upper in. Just take your time and keep an air blower close by so you can cool each weld quickly so it doesn't burn your seam sealer out
vmssbl.jpg
grind all your welds flat and reinstall the 2 braces you had removed.
28wi493.jpg
done beside filler work and paint! Hope this helps a few people tackling this project.

No problem guys im glad to help. Whenever I get time I plan to post another how to on installing the trunk floor.I took quite a few pics while doing it as its quite a bit more in depth.

stevehcode,

i see that this is an old thread - but any chance to get the images?

it will be my next project and it would be useful :)

thanks

stan

Back