1973 Front crossmember

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ls5czu

Reaction score
My Car
Mustang 1973 Convertible 351C 2V
Corvette 1970 Coupe 454
Charger 1974 Rallye 400 4V
Hey, I'm on the way to fresh up my 1973 Convertible Survivor with only 16k miles, which I just bought. All still looks original , each and every bolt.

Now my question: The front crossmember looks somehow a little bit bent back on the driver side (in the area where the strut is attached). There is no hit visible in the front and especially not on the front of the crossmember (absolutely nothing). Now I have seen on some pictures in the internet with a similar asymmetrical bent...but the pictures where not so good quality. Could it be that it is from factory somehow asymmetric with a bent on the driver side? Hope you can give me some feedback from your experience...or even a picture of yours. Thanks Markus

That area should be symmetrical to the opposite side.. My opinion is to measure the distance front to back at the lower edge of the x-member to lower control arm mount brace. They should be the same dimension. Also, look at the frame rail inner, outer and bottom for any unusual bends or kinks.. The rail should be straight and smooth..

Remove the front strut rod.. Put it on a flat surface and inspect it for a bow or distortion which would indicate an impact.. It should be straight and true thru the centerline except for the end that bolts to the lower control arm..

Hey, I'm on the way to fresh up my 1973 Convertible Survivor with only 16k miles, which I just bought. All still looks original , each and every bolt.

Now my question: The front crossmember looks somehow a little bit bent back on the driver side (in the area where the strut is attached). There is no hit visible in the front and especially not on the front of the crossmember (absolutely nothing). Now I have seen on some pictures in the internet with a similar asymmetrical bent...but the pictures where not so good quality. Could it be that it is from factory somehow asymmetric with a bent on the driver side? Hope you can give me some feedback from your experience...or even a picture of yours. Thanks Markus

Back