Ram Air Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
While I am waiting to get the stripes put on my car I thought I would start trying to get the Ram Air system in. Since I am using a MSD distributor I need to make some mods to clear that and I believe I know what I need to do there. What I do need to know from some of you that have Ram Air cars is how high is the top of the air cleaner is from a set reference point.

I was hoping if one of you could put a straight edge across the top of the air cleaner rubber seal and then measure the distance from shock tower or the brace it will give me an idea of what the height needs to be. Attaching a crude diagram of what I need.

If one of you can give me that info I'd appreciate it.

thx

001.jpg

I used a straight cedar (light) 2X4 and came up with 1 and 9/10th's of an inch on the driver's side. I came up with 2" on the passenger's side. With the slight compression of the seal by the light 2X4 I'd say 2" is the safe measurement on mine, of course that's where mine is, if that's where it's supposed to be, is anyone's guess. The seal on mine is tight so I don't think it couldn't be more than a half inch higher without interfering with the hood closing.

Jim

measurement.jpgMeasurment2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. This is the measurement that I needed. Really appreciate you showing pics of how you got the numbers. I'll try to duplicate this and see if I am going to be able to add this to my car.

Thx again Jim

-john

What intake are you running? That will make a differance.
It'll make all the difference. To make it clear concerning the measurements I took, I have the stock 4V cast iron intake on mine currently but I had an edlebrock performer intake on it and the clearance was also fine for the Ram Air.

Besides height, I think the MSD distributor will also be an issue since the Ram Air cleaner is large, and already sits close to the stock distributor. There's very little clearance in that area.

clearance.jpg

What intake are you running? That will make a differance.
It'll make all the difference. To make it clear concerning the measurements I took, I have the stock 4V cast iron intake on mine currently but I had an edlebrock performer intake on it and the clearance was also fine for the Ram Air.

Besides height, I think the MSD distributor will also be an issue since the Ram Air cleaner is large, and already sits close to the stock distributor. There's very little clearance in that area.
I bought an MSD dist and then decided not to use it for that very reason. I ended up using a Pertronix and flame thrower coil with my stock distributor. NO complaints....

Back