Hood lock options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
It always bothers me that there's no second latch for the hood when opening like on newer cars.

Hence if the hood pops open when driving on the highway it's going to flip over the windshield.

Is anyone using some sort of second hood lock? I'm not looking to drill for the hood twist locks, but would like to install something under the hood that's out of the way.

I did buy this sometime ago, but the shop said that there was nothing to mount the latch near the radiator to hold it in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-Mechanical-Cable-Ignition-Interrupt/dp/B00375R0N0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415761453&sr=8-4&keywords=car+hood+locks

Thanks

I have the factory locks on my hood and they are pretty cool looking. The 65 Mustang had a second catch and I got to see what happens to a hood that is not locked properly the day after paint and the lumpkins installed the hood security catch backwards. Needless to say, 40 MPH with the hood straight up kind of sucks. Ruined the new hood and scratched the two fenders, that was my maiden ride with my wife. She was not impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the factory locks on my hood and they are pretty cool looking. The 65 Mustang had a second catch and I got to see what happens to a hood that is not locked properly the day after paint and the lumpkins installed the hood security catch backwards. Needless to say, 40 MPH with the hood straight up kind of sucks. Ruined the new hood and scratched the two fenders, that was my maiden ride with my wife. She was not impressed.
So should our 73's also have a 2nd catch from the factory?

If so, maybe my hood lock is broken as there is no 2nd latch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing an article somewhere regarding using an '80-'90s model F-150 hood latch set-up to replace the latching mechanism in our cars. I believe there was a "second latch" feature built-into it, but it also offered a means to better secure the hood from being opened from outside of the car, by placing the latch-release inside the cab (just like newer cars).

It seemed to me like that set-up would require a longer cable or something, since F-150s don't have such long hoods. ;)

Back