Could The 71-73 Mustang have been an AERO-WARRIOR? (+"artist" Renditions!)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback (Factory sprint, but now a bright red Mach 1)
351c 2v(big ol cam, holley dominator intake, roller set, edelbrock 4bbl)

fmx
Ford ended up using the Torino for their stock car racer, but what if they didn't?

Given body mods similar to that of the super bird such as a nose cone or a more effective spoiler, the '71 body style Mustang might have been a serious competitor in the hayday of oval-track racing.

The Mustang had the right power train, and a decent aerodynamic platform for the time. Why didn't Ford look into it?

1971-nascar-1.jpg

1971Atlanta.jpg

images.jpg

nose.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NASCAR is/was based upon intermediate-sized cars; the Mustang was on a smaller platform and wasn't allowed to compete within NASCAR. There were other racing leagues that Mustangs did compete in, but most were road courses and not ovals where sheer speed is needed.

I think it was because Ford was getting out of the racing business for good at that time. That's also why our cars were left hanging to dry, along with the new laws.

The private teams that were still racing and that got the support from Ford were racing older cars and simply kept those.

It's pretty sad that, despite their potential, our cars never had the chance to prove themselves. They would be appreciated much more if they had proven worthy competitors on the race tracks.

That's one of the reasons I started that thread asking for cars in race style paintjobs. You hardly find any and most of you guys know that I am a sucker for cars in classic Trans Am or Nascar livery.

Several reasons: it ALL has to do with dominance in NASCAR. The horsepower race had reached a point to where massive amounts of extra power would only return tiny speed improvements. Aerodynamics had reached a critical point.

The first aero-car was the "Charger 500", basically a stock-bodied Charger with a flush-mounted Plymouth Satellite grill installed along with the REAR bumper mounted in front. That was dramatically more aerdynamic than the sexy but deep-set grill of the stock Charger.

Also, a "plug" was made to fill in the "flying buttress" sail panel area of the back window. Beautiful to look at...horrible aerodynamics. The "plug" smoothed that out.

To handicap the big manufacturers, and allow independent racers to compete effectively, NASCAR required the manufacturers to build and sell at least 500 copies to the general public of whatever factory custom-bodied car they wanted to race. The term for this is "homologation".

The "Charger 500" was named as an homage to this.

The car was succesful at NASCAR. Very much so.

Ford responded with thier "Torino Talladega", a custom-bodied Torino.

Now things were even again.

Chrysler upped the ante with the "winged warrior", the Dodge Charger "Daytona". It was the first car to top 200 mph in NASCAR.

A little trivia: the day that the first prototype Daytona reached 200 mph for the first time during testing was the same day the first US astronauts landed on the moon: July 20, 1969.

Anyway, the Daytona was cleaning up handilly in NASCAR, and Richard Petty finally convinced Plymouth to give him a version, and they did: the 1970 Plymouth "Superbird".

Ford again responded in kind: they developed the Torino King Cobra, and the twin Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II, using all the same aero-tricks Chrysler used.

Before the cars could be sanctioned for official racing however, "Big Bill" France of NASCAR decided the aero-cars were not allowed. No more Daytonas, Superbirds and the still-born King Cobra/ Spoiler II twins never saw the light of day.

By the time the 71 Mustang was born, the aerowars at NASCAR were over. Plus, the uni-body construction of the Mustang was too flimsy for NASCAR duty.

Several reasons: it ALL has to do with dominance in NASCAR. The horsepower race had reached a point to where massive amounts of extra power would only return tiny speed improvements. Aerodynamics had reached a critical point.

The first aero-car was the "Charger 500", basically a stock-bodied Charger with a flush-mounted Plymouth Satellite grill installed along with the REAR bumper mounted in front. That was dramatically more aerdynamic than the sexy but deep-set grill of the stock Charger.

Also, a "plug" was made to fill in the "flying buttress" sail panel area of the back window. Beautiful to look at...horrible aerodynamics. The "plug" smoothed that out.

To handicap the big manufacturers, and allow independent racers to compete effectively, NASCAR required the manufacturers to build and sell at least 500 copies to the general public of whatever factory custom-bodied car they wanted to race. The term for this is "homologation".

The "Charger 500" was named as an homage to this.

The car was succesful at NASCAR. Very much so.

Ford responded with thier "Torino Talladega", a custom-bodied Torino.

Now things were even again.

Chrysler upped the ante with the "winged warrior", the Dodge Charger "Daytona". It was the first car to top 200 mph in NASCAR.

A little trivia: the day that the first prototype Daytona reached 200 mph for the first time during testing was the same day the first US astronauts landed on the moon: July 20, 1969.

Anyway, the Daytona was cleaning up handilly in NASCAR, and Richard Petty finally convinced Plymouth to give him a version, and they did: the 1970 Plymouth "Superbird".

Ford again responded in kind: they developed the Torino King Cobra, and the twin Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II, using all the same aero-tricks Chrysler used.

Before the cars could be sanctioned for official racing however, "Big Bill" France of NASCAR decided the aero-cars were not allowed. No more Daytonas, Superbirds and the still-born King Cobra/ Spoiler II twins never saw the light of day.

By the time the 71 Mustang was born, the aerowars at NASCAR were over. Plus, the uni-body construction of the Mustang was too flimsy for NASCAR duty.
Very interesting. I think our cars would have done very well. They would have likely had a super bird style wing. The cars are already so sleek it would have been cool to see what they would have looked like indeed!

Very interesting. I think our cars would have done very well. They would have likely had a super bird style wing. The cars are already so sleek it would have been cool to see what they would have looked like indeed!
Somebody with photoshop should sketch something up.

*AHEM, Rocketfoot...:D

Ok I sketched something. I don't know squat about aerodynamics on a molecular level but the additions I threw on there are mods that I've seen on some racecars.

I tried to stick with the superbird theme. I don't know if valance diffusers had been invented yet either but oh well.

aerostang 1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ok I sketched something. I don't know squat about aerodynamics on a molecular level but the additions I threw on there are mods that I've seen on some racecars.

I tried to stick with the superbird theme. I don't know if valance diffusers had been invented yet either but oh well.
I like where your going. Do your thing on this

mb1o8z.jpg
[/img]

How about a blend of the green rig and this 1 wing etc. Cool concept playing aero warriors

10oi4oi.jpg
[/img]
Ha, for a second I thought that was a Pantera.

I'll see what I can do.:cool:

Back