fmx auto to 5 or 4 manual??? 351c 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71/351c/darkhorse

Reaction score
My Car
i have a 1971 grande coupe with a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel motor. she was half way fixed up now looking to do the rest.
ok im kinda a newbie at swapping from auto to manual... i was wondering if any of you have done this already. im planning on beefing up the motor which is a 351c 2v in a 71 grande. so i want something to handle some torque. the T5 is rated at 300ft of torque. has anyone done this and what route did you go? so i can get some figures on what i want and what route i go.

if you don't do much freeway driving i would stay with a wide ratio 4 speed, otherwise a 600 trans because it has a far better gear ratio and handles more power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out Modern Driveline? They specialize in swaps and their order form is a great reference tool for what you may need .

When we converted our FMX to a Tremec 3550, we found a tranny and some other parts locally, then used MD to guide us through the remaining parts needs. The guys there are great, willing to share experience and help you through whatever stage of the project you're at.

Good luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys. I havent checked them out yet. Right now im pricing it out right now. It wont be till a while longer until i pull the trigger. And how are they with long tubes?

If you search "headers" on the site, you'll get a wealth of experiences and opinions on long and short headers. Sometimes it's just a preference, sometimes it's a cost thing, and sometimes your design drives the choice. I understand that long tubes will work, but some have issues with ground clearance at the flange. Since we knew we were lowering the suspension, we chose to go with Sanderson shorties to be able to tuck the pipes as close to the car as possible. Whatever you go with, I highly suggest spending the extra $$ to have them ceramic coated.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-FC4-Ford-Cleveland-Header-Set-for-1969-73-Ford-Mustang.html

is there a big difference in ceramic coating?

I used the Modern Driveline kit on my '68 coupe and can't wait to do it on my '73 Mach-1. It was fairly easy. But I was also swapping out my 302 for a 393w and a 9 imch for my 8 inch.

I ordered the pedal, clutch cable kit, TKO-600 and the clutch. Install the pedal, run the cable and drop in the trans. Then measure and order your driveshaft. It's time consuming but not that difficult..

I used the Modern Driveline kit on my '68 coupe and can't wait to do it on my '73 Mach-1. It was fairly easy. But I was also swapping out my 302 for a 393w and a 9 imch for my 8 inch.

I ordered the pedal, clutch cable kit, TKO-600 and the clutch. Install the pedal, run the cable and drop in the trans. Then measure and order your driveshaft. It's time consuming but not that difficult..
Are you running long tube headers with the clutch cable?

I am running mid length headers..

Back