Stainless Molds Not up to Scratch.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi there,

Must say i was disappointed in regards a complete set of original stainless steel windscreen molds i recently was lucky to find and bring in from America recently, for my '73 Vert. (these are to be a standby set in case of an unexpected emergency)

They were in overall quite good condition, but had mild surface scratching here and there, plus a couple of deep scratches/wear marks where the roof latch hooks secure onto the top of the screen. I decided to pay good money and have all four molds professionally polished up to restore them. I dealt with a good company, but got a nasty surprise when i went to pick them up and pay for them. The quote was for $220.00 Aus for the work to be done.

The overall finished appearance of the molds turned out quite good, except on the two vertical side molds. A few random clusters of tiny pinholes and pit marks have appeared out of no where on the polished surface. My polisher told me that the more he tried to remove them, the more fresh pinholes came up and showed in the finish. On that basis, you give up trying to eliminate them, because you're fighting a losing battle to rectify the problem. His opinion was that because the original quality of the stainless steel was average, that was what caused this problem to occur.

Strangely, the pin holing has not occurred on the two top molds, only the sides. It's a shame really, because the markings spoil the finished result appearance wise, and it appears there's nothing i can do to remedy the markings and remove them. Has this problem happened to anyone in the forum at all?:(

Greg.:s

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Greg i am sad to hear that you have bought som not good original[emoji20] That's is what can happen when people don't tell there full condition! Pictures are incorrect because off the light conditions[emoji19] But I hope that you can find some way to get them back in shape? What about finding a Crome company and let them take a look at them? Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Ive had this problem buffing out some stainless on previous cars we have restored at the shop although I haven't tried to buff mine for my mach 1 yet. Alot of parts vary in material, thickness, etc. And the metal can be very porous.I ran into a few particular parts that pinholed like he spoke of and if That's the case its a losing battle. Like dk73 said the only thing you could check on is having them chromed which will be expensive and im not certain if itll cover the pinholes or just find a better set of moldings.

This reminds me of what my Dad use to tell me, "don't do too much or you will "screw" it up" or words to that affect. Thanks for posting I think when I come down to polishing my moldings that I have stored Ill just lightly hand rub and call it good enough. I wont try too hard to remove any scratches just try to get a shine. My guess is the quality of the metal varied that is why some pitted and some did not. Sorry you paid out good money to wind up with pits. At least you helped others like myself with your experience. If thats of any consolation.

71-73 mustangs do not have stainless trim around the windows and roofbelt.

the moldings are aluminum that is bright dipped(heavy clear coat plastic covering)

if you polish the aluminum the bright dip coating will come off leaving exposed aluminum. over time it will dull back and oxidize.

the aluminum might have air bubbles and imperfections under the surface since it was never meant to be polished.

to restore the molding you need to find a place that can bright dip metal.

71-73 mustangs do not have stainless trim around the windows and roofbelt.

the moldings are aluminum that is bright dipped(heavy clear coat plastic covering)

if you polish the aluminum the bright dip coating will come off leaving exposed aluminum. over time it will dull back and oxidize.

the aluminum might have air bubbles and imperfections under the surface since it was never meant to be polished.

to restore the molding you need to find a place that can bright dip metal.
Sir,

These are original 1973 windscreen molds off a '73 Vert. These molds are 100% stainless steel FOR SURE, NO IF, BUTS OR MAYBES. I would bet my house on it.

Hi Lars,

Thanks. To be truthful, the molds did not have any pitting or pinholes when i bought them. This problem has come up with the polishing process.My chrome company man tells me you can't successfully rechrome these molds, as there would be no guarantee that the chrome finish would last and not come off.

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Yes, it sounds like you have run into a similar problem like i have. My chrome man says that by chroming them, you would make the pinholes more accentuated, a no win situation. The sad fact remains that the original quality of this stainless steel is the reason that this pitting and pin holing problem has occurred.

Hi Go Time,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, it looks like i've had to learn a lesson here the hard way, as there is no real way of getting out of this problem.I agree with you, and would go carefully when polishing them up, ie. don't be too aggressive. That's my i posted this thread. It was to give others a head's up on not making the same mistake as i did.

Thanks to all,

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Greg thank you for your feedback[emoji6] Yes I did get that they were okay when you got them. But I think that they have bind bad from the start! And when you began to polish them you have removed the Crome that have bind done in the US. The surfaces of them are not as hard as when they were New.[emoji19][emoji6] But let them be for now and wait? Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Back