351c running poorly

Not to be a turd, and we've all been guilty of it before, but this is a good example of why it's important to read the whole thread before posting. ;) :D

Piper62j has a lot of good information to share (seriously - good stuff, Man!), but it's pretty obvious they missed the part where will e solved the issue by cleaning/adjusting the Uni-Lite ignition module/distributor rotor.

Anyhoo - just a friendly reminder to get the whole story if you can - and don't forget to present this post to me the next time I do it as well. rofl

Mister 4x4,

I read every word. I even stated, "I consider all of the given advice valuable." I'm not quite sure how my comment became a "good example of why it's important to read the whole thread before posting."

The reason I posted what I did is because I felt that the advice given, though sound, was given in a manner that a novice reading this thread would be confused. I simply wanted to categorize the process into bold-print, troubleshooting, language. I guess it's the teacher in me.

I agree that Piper has great information and stated that it was valuable.

In addition, I'm not quite sure how posting what I did meant that I "pretty obviously missed" that problem was resolved. I'm confused and feel a bit insulted. It seems that I struck a nerve and would like to know the real reason you posted what you did. Did I come across insulting or disrespectful?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mister 4x4,

I read every word. I even stated, "I consider all of the given advice valuable." I'm not quite sure how my comment became a "good example of why it's important to read the whole thread before posting."

(snip)

I'm confused and feel a bit insulted. It seems that I struck a nerve and would like to know the real reason you posted what you did. Did I come across insulting or disrespectful?

Oh the irony - please go back and read it again... I had quoted Piper62j - not you. My quoted post only fell into the mix right after yours. While he had good information (just as you did), it appeared as if he hadn't read through to the point of seeing will e had actually fixed the issue, but offered advice (albeit, good advice) on how to fix it anyway.

I'm sorry if you were confused and felt insulted - nothing in my post was pointed in your direction. Please let me know where you saw that.

As well, to Piper62j (if you happen to see this, and just in case there are any misconceptions), I was not trying to be mean, or minimize anybody's thoughts or comments in the slightest... just pointing out something I noticed - in a friendly manner (I've seen other efforts in other places that are much less accommodating).

Hope this clears things up.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I'm sorry if you were confused and felt insulted - nothing in my post was pointed in your direction. Please let me know where you saw that.

"pretty obvious they missed..." This means more than one person missed. Piper and I were the only ones to comment after the problem was corrected.

I just noticed that you were a moderator so your post makes more sense now. I'm no longer confused. Feeling insulted comes with comments like "Oh the Irony." This insinuates that, once again, I didn't read the posts. No further comments on this end. I understand you better now.

"pretty obvious they missed..." The means more than one person missed. Piper and I were the only ones to comment after the problem was corrected.

I just noticed that you were a moderator so your post makes more sense now. I'm no longer confused. Feeling insulted comes with comments like "Oh the Irony." This insinuates that, once again, I didn't read the posts. No further comments on this end. I understand you better now.

Not trying to pick a fight or stoke the fire, but the word "they" is also singularly descriptive when you're unsure of the gender of an individual (he, she, or they) - which is exactly how I meant it. If you can't see that, then I can't help you any further.

Seriously, I'm sorry for the confusion - and I'm done apologizing for this. But, if you're trying to keep this going by insinuating I have some kind of a superiority complex because of my Moderator status, then we're done here.

Have a nice day.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

BINGO Ign Problem Glad its Running Better!

\

I just installed a chevy type HEI for a 351c had to make a 1 inch

rubber spacer to raise the air filter to clear the huge HEI cap.

The point dizzy left me stranded when the condenser crapped out

at $50 the HEI is a steal but will not work with the stock air cleaner.

I put in Moroso cent adv spring and weight kit to get 23D adv in at 2500RPM

and this thing is a neck snapper now goodbye points! I dont use the vac

adv at all 31D all in is good enough no pinging on reg gas with 2v OC heads.

Thanks for the followup

Grab a spare HEI module. They are like 20 bucks. (DR 101 is the part number for the one I use in my AMC). There were a couple of different kinds. When they go they go dead. Easy road side repair.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Somehow this thread went south, taking with it a moderator and one of our members.:huh:

But word has it that relations have been restored to normal (and I'm not talking about "relations" in the Clintonesque meaning). :P

So let's go have a beer and bash some Chebbys, shall we? ::chili:: ::chili::

::beer::

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Sorry for jacking up the thread guys. I should have PM'd Eric instead of airing my thoughts. He and I have touched base and resolved our misunderstanding. It won't happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. It started running just a little rough at idle again and may not be as smooth as cruise. I will use my timing light RPM function again to see if any of the cyl's are misfiring. It's a handy new troubleshooting technique for me.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Interesting. It started running just a little rough at idle again and may not be as smooth as cruise. I will use my timing light RPM function again to see if any of the cyl's are misfiring. It's a handy new troubleshooting technique for me.

Honestly....when you said it was fixed I was puzzled by your description of the "fix". I was thinking what you described would have most likely made for a wandering misfire...not specific to a particular cylinder. When I made my suggestions I wasn't really thinking/realizing that most people probably don't have "extra" parts they can just start throwing on the engine one at a time, like I can, till finding the problem(s). Of course I DO perform all the appropriate tests first to try and isolate the problem beforehand...... It's quicker/easier that way. Trouble shooting is an art...especially with intermittent problems!

72 "Q" convertible, C-6, console, AC, PDB, PS, PTop, 1 of 330

72 "R" Mach, 351 HO, 4-sp, forest green met, 1 of 336

71 "J" 429cj Torino GT fastback, 4-sp, buckets, grabber blue, 1 of 80

71 "C" 429cj GT Ranchero, 4-sp, PDB, manual steering!, med met blue, laser stripes, 4-sale $2500, needs engine, tranny, and restored, one of (36)!! w 429cj 4-sp, and no shaker, my rarest car...

70 "J" 429scj Torino Cobra FB drag pac, C-6, buckets, console, tach, vermillion

70 "Q" Mach I, 4-speed, PDB, PS 1 of 320

69 "R" 428cj (rebuilt) Torino Cobra FB, C-6, PDB, PS, buckets, console, black, 4-sale, 11k, needs int&paint (orig candy apple red) 4-sale

69 "R" 428scj Mach drag pac, C-6, console, candy apple red.

68 "S" 390GT CSGT, 4-sp, tach, gulfstream aqua 1 of 112?

68 FB Resto Mod, 408 stroker, 500+HP, 5-sp, 4-wheel 12.19" Willwoods, Global West, sub frame con, etc.....black jade

66 GT 350 FB Tribute, 331 stroker, 450 HP, built C-4, 3.55 posi, HOoo HA!

And a few more.... Been Hi-grading for 30+ years now

Are the carbs from a 67-69 Chevy 427? Do you have LIST numbers? I ran 3 deuces on a FORD 390 and a PONTIAC 389 back in the day. Both were sensitive to float level settings (3 of them). If I remember correctly, and I'm not saying I do, the end carbs I think you have, do have an idle circuit, even though it is not adjustable. How many turns out on the center carb Idle volume screws? Chuck

Sorry for jacking up the thread guys. I should have PM'd Eric instead of airing my thoughts. He and I have touched base and resolved our misunderstanding. It won't happen again.

::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Are the carbs from a 67-69 Chevy 427? Do you have LIST numbers? I ran 3 deuces on a FORD 390 and a PONTIAC 389 back in the day. Both were sensitive to float level settings (3 of them). If I remember correctly, and I'm not saying I do, the end carbs I think you have, do have an idle circuit, even though it is not adjustable. How many turns out on the center carb Idle volume screws? Chuck

I would have to go take a look at the list numbers.

And I think your are right, I think the outboard vacuums had a small idle (non-adjustable) used to make sure the gas didn't get old. (Not much of a problem with my lead foot).

They are either Corvette or Mopar.

I don't think it's the carbs. I had a beautiful two days of smoothness and now it is just starting to act a little funny again. No where near as bad as before. It's possible my two new 'hotter' spark plugs are causing an issue or it might be back to the ignition not firing correctly.

Well, at least I can drive it. Mid 70's today and not a chance of snow...

'Mike'

I'm done....common courtesy and all. Good luck with the problem....

72 "Q" convertible, C-6, console, AC, PDB, PS, PTop, 1 of 330

72 "R" Mach, 351 HO, 4-sp, forest green met, 1 of 336

71 "J" 429cj Torino GT fastback, 4-sp, buckets, grabber blue, 1 of 80

71 "C" 429cj GT Ranchero, 4-sp, PDB, manual steering!, med met blue, laser stripes, 4-sale $2500, needs engine, tranny, and restored, one of (36)!! w 429cj 4-sp, and no shaker, my rarest car...

70 "J" 429scj Torino Cobra FB drag pac, C-6, buckets, console, tach, vermillion

70 "Q" Mach I, 4-speed, PDB, PS 1 of 320

69 "R" 428cj (rebuilt) Torino Cobra FB, C-6, PDB, PS, buckets, console, black, 4-sale, 11k, needs int&paint (orig candy apple red) 4-sale

69 "R" 428scj Mach drag pac, C-6, console, candy apple red.

68 "S" 390GT CSGT, 4-sp, tach, gulfstream aqua 1 of 112?

68 FB Resto Mod, 408 stroker, 500+HP, 5-sp, 4-wheel 12.19" Willwoods, Global West, sub frame con, etc.....black jade

66 GT 350 FB Tribute, 331 stroker, 450 HP, built C-4, 3.55 posi, HOoo HA!

And a few more.... Been Hi-grading for 30+ years now

Over the past couple of days it seems to be going back to running poorly. Vacuum is a little lower and a little more unsteady. Exhaust sounds a little different. The 'smell from driving' is back. It is getting progressively worse. Still no where near as bad as it had reached before. Since I have driven it over the past week and a half each day I am more 'in tune' with how it is running. It's not my daily driver and it is unusual for me to drive it more than a couple of days in a row. Over the summer it can sit for a few months with nothing more than a monthly starting and running.

That all adds up to me not recognizing it not running at 'its best'. But I got a flavor of it earlier this week. In my mind I know how it 'should' run.

Tomorrow I will check the ignition module again, give it a cleaning and see if there is any dirt there. It kind of makes sense it might get worse as it gets more dirty. We will see...

'Mike'

Over the past couple of days it seems to be going back to running poorly. Vacuum is a little lower and a little more unsteady.

Will, I'm sorry you are still having problems. Are you running a dual vac distributor? Do you have a thermostatic vacuum tree? If not, how old is your distributor? My assumption is that you are using Mallory's 'under the cap' Unilite system and not the full distributor.

thanks, Marc

Is that a vacuum advance line disconnected?

pic http://www.7173mustangs.com/xthreads_attach.php/942_1309806224_e35e57c6/e661eab08d11313913bbee705ba2b9ca/mi1.JPG

look right above Ford Motorsports on the valve cover.

I have the replacement Mallory distributor. It is a single vac which I run to manifold.

I took the cap back off today and tried cleaning the surface of the led/pickup and again it was dirty. Not as dirty as before but a little. It occurred to me I had not cleaned up the rotor and such so I wiped it all down.

While looking at the rotor I noticed this:

P1030085_zps8f3499c5.jpg

It's a little hard to make out but compare it to the other side:

P1030086_zps448863d5.jpg

On the top photo you can see where the plastic has been rubbed off just below the notches. These are # 1 and #3 firing. If you look really close you can see a new scrape starting above the more obvious one, this is because I used a piece of paper to help 'raise' the rotor assembly.

Hardly a smoking gun but it is interesting. I loosened the trigger module and moved it back just slightly (it is all it would move) and then tightened it again. I am going to go fire it up and see what happens. I am not sure why this would cause issues with #1 and #3 but there is a curious correlation.

'Mike'