Confession: I'm a big-block snob...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I confess: I am biased towards big-blocks...but I don't really have a logical reason. I have owned several nicely-built 351 Clevelands ( and Windsors, too!) In Mustangs and various other Fords and they will run neck-to-neck with all but the stoutest big-blocks out there.

Big-blocks in street trim are mostly just unrealized potential, and well-built small-blocks generally do everything on a street-car better: handling, braking, economy, etc...

But, there's just something about all that lazy, low-end massive torque on tap. What small blocks do with much effort is simply a walk in the park to a big block.

I guess its like breasts: some like 'em big, others like 'em small and firm. Me? I like 'em the way I like my engines: huge and in your face!

Last edited:
I confess: I am biased towards big-blocks...but I don't really have a logical reason. I have owned several nicely-built 351 Clevelands ( and Windsors, too!) In Mustangs and various other Fords and they will run neck-to-neck with all but the stoutest big-blocks out there.

Big-blocks in street trim are mostly just unrealized potential, and well-built small-blocks generally do everything on a street-car better: handling, braking, economy, etc...

But, there's just something about all that lazy, low-end massive torque on tap. What small blocks do with much effort is simply a walk in the park to a big block.

I guess its like breasts: some like 'em big, others like 'em small and firm. Me? I like 'em the way I like my engines: huge and in your face!
I confess too! Two things to confess. First, when I was young and fell in love with the 71 Mach 1 from DAF movie I did not know about the 429 big blocks. I did not buy a Mach 1 until the next model year which of course was the 72. Was not even smart enough to order the 351 4V along with some other cool options that I probably could have gotten. I got the 351 2V...without the Ram Air and the cool black hood, what was I thinking!!!

Second, when I began to look seriously at buying another Mach 1, I only considered the Boss 351 and the 429 Mach 1. Not that I did not like the other non B1 & 351 cars, but I wanted something that was unusual and had lots of options.

I guess as a 3rd confession I came close to buying what was believed to be the highest optioned 1969 SS RS Camaro. It had something like 34 or 35 factory options including some very rare options such as headlight and tail light monitors and a anti slip chemical agent that squirted a substance on rear tires in ice or snow conditions. It was a very unusual car I found on eBay and was actually here in Houston as I recall. What was ironic about that car was that with all those options it was not a big block car.

I know it is the competition but like Kit, I truly love all the old muscle cars from back in the day and would love to have one of each. There will never be cars like that again. I am just glad so many survived and are here for not only us to enjoy but those that were not here back then to know them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Clevelands because thats what I grew up with in this mustang I still have, But If there was a 71-429cj Mustang in front of me, and I had the money to spend... No brainer SOLD. The second part of the previous sentence is the killer :)

^^^What he said^^^:D

Back