Mustangs they never built

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the '66...it looks very similar to the AMX-III from AMC.

As much as I like most of Larry Shinoda's designs, that '70 mach 2 is atrocious. Just terrible. It looks like something drawn on the cover of a 14-year old's school notebook. It looks like a cheap 70's-era kit-car, like a "Manta", or something like that.

The Mach I was quite far out.

18849d1205377878-mustang-concept.jpg

As was the Mustang Milano:

1308-1970-ford-mustang-milano-concept-front.jpg

1970_Ford_Mustang_Milano_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Milano's tailights glowed red, yellow or green...depending ob if you were accelerating, cruising or braking. Kind of a cool idea...

The basket wheels on the Milano are awesome!!!
Look for the HPP (or PPH) wheels from the late 90's early 00's Crown Vics, very similar and 16" in size.

Look for the HPP (or PPH) wheels from the late 90's early 00's Crown Vics, very similar and 16" in size.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those. I have a love of baskets. I've been saving a set of Enkei 3 piece gold baskets for my Mach 1 for a long time. :heart:

IMG_20120524_113945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always loved the Milano, probably because it looked like it could be real, unlike most other design studies or concept cars.

I have to disagree with Kit on the Mach2. I like that a lot. Looks like most supercars of that era. Did anyone notice that the lines of the quarter panels look just like the 68-70 Chargers?

You've got a point Luxstang, have'nt noticed it before you said it, but you are right about how much the quarter panels looks like those on the 68-70 Chargers. I like the Mach 2 concept too, it's a very nice looking "supercar", but I am very saticfied with the other designs they chose to produce.. :p

Yeah, I'm familiar with those. I have a love of baskets. I've been saving a set of Enkei 3 piece gold baskets for my Mach 1 for a long time. :heart:

I remember this type wheel as being made by BBS.

bbs wheel.jpg

Ray

Those wheels are inspired by the BBS "RA" style wheels. I have them on my 88 Lincoln MK-VII GTC.

How about the Mustang "Aspen"? It was a wagon-backed 'stang...probably inspired by the Volvo P600 sportwagon.

I always thought that one was well done and looked almost production-ready.

Sorry, no pictures...

The Shinoda Mach 2 definitely has 'Charger overtones in there. But also, there's elements of GT40 as well. And you can see where BMW may have got their inspiration for the 8-Series front end from the 90's from, too.

The Mach 1 and Milano could almost be melded to form the '71-'73 Mach 1 shape, such are the design clues.

That Milano looks great, I can see so much of Ford of Aus XA GT hardtop styling in it. The NACA scoops in the hood (only 2 in the XA) and the twist locks, the ducts in the front of the guards, the side profile of doors and rear windows and the rear windscreen also. It definitely inspired Ford of Aus designers to come up with our XA-XC hardtops.

Back