1971 Boss 351- Test Vehicle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really is an awesome find. Those seats scream the 70's. He tells the history of the car, but I don't believe he mentions if it runs or not. That price seems low to me for a Boss test car with such low mileage.

I have never seen that striped seat pattern before, no reserve...it will be interesting to watch!

Info from the ad:

1971 Ford Mustang BOSS351 – Test Vehicle

1971 Boss 351 with only 19,000 original miles and one repaint.

I have always dreamed about a low-mileage barn finds. Well it was not in a barn, but someone’s garage. It was used by Ford as a Test Vehicle before being purchased by the original owner Olin White of Detroit, MI, before acquired by Bob Janasuousky of Dearborn Heights, MI. It is believed that he was a relative of the original owner. I have been trying to locate either of the two former owners. The Car was found around the Dearborn Michigan area not far for where it was born.

As it turned out, I had purchased the car from the owner whom I had before purchase another Boss and recognized his screen name. I remembered him having some very unique rare, and clean vehicles. I knew it would be worth the 7 hour trip. He had not done much to the car since he acquired it, just wheels and tires. We had no idea it was a Test Vehicle! A copy of the window sticker showed it was sold to Ford Motor Company, Product & Engineering Building in Dearborn, Michigan. It was then shipped to I. R. Building Garage, 21500 Oaklwood Blvd, Dearborn, MI. I remember looking at the Window Sticker and thinking there is something special about this car. My first thought was it had to be a Ford Executive’s Car. Record show the first owner acquired the Car from Ford with 4474 miles. It came with a ledger documenting the mileage, repair records, and a few unusual old Polaroid photos. The photos show the Boss 351 Sticker on the rear quarter panels. These were taken before the Car’s first and only repaint. I have owner a few other 1970 Boss Cars, but none have performed like the Boss 351 from day 1, I have been impressed with the car’s performance and handling for a full size Muscle Car.

When I got the Marti Report back I was pleasantly surprised, it was a 19,000-mile 71Mustang Boss 351 “Test Vehicle”, one of the 1,806 produced and in my favorite color white. Of those, only 4 left the Dearborn assembly line in Blue Random Stripe Cloth & Corinthian Vinyl interior,3 were equipped with AM Radios, 2 of them came with Bumper Guards, and 1 of them was produced with Manual Steering. That is my car! I all most forgot the most important part. The has the original Carb, Dist, Rev Limiter, and quarters. The underside is nice. You won't be disappoint! I doubt you will every find another with this history.

I took it to the 50th Birthday Celebration and I spoke to Marti who did the Marti Report and he verified the significance of the car. I was going to attempt the restoration myself, but I have decided to let it go to a good home. It deserves a full restoration.

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (4).JPG

$_57 (5).JPG

$_57 (6).JPG

$_57 (7).JPG

$_57 (8).JPG

$_57 (9).JPG

$_57 (10).JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57 (11).JPG

$_57 (12).JPG

Ray

I remember that one from another forum. Beautiful car. Shouldn't be restored at all, but preserved and refurbished where prudent.

Whoever gets it will be getting something special. A survivor can touch a car-loving heart more than any restoration...

-Kurt

Looks like someone replaced the RAM AIR stickers on the hood incorrectly.

The "351" part should not be on there for a Boss 351.

Ray

Don't you think it is strange for a test vehicle to be built in late December/early January? I would think most test vehicles would be built in August.

Don't you think it is strange for a test vehicle to be built in late December/early January? I would think most test vehicles would be built in August.
No - not at all.

Boss 351 was available Nov 1970.

from the (very stale) Boss 351 Registry site:

The earliest "date invoiced" on a build sheet of a Boss 351 is 11/5/70. (3 cars).

Last: The last invoice date on a build sheet of A Boss 351 was July 27th, 1971]

Ray

OMG! I did not realize that the B1 was not available at the introduction of the model year.

No - not at all.

The earliest "date invoiced" on a build sheet of a Boss 351 is 11/5/70. (3 cars).

Ray
I wonder what they mean by "date invoiced". My Boss was ordered on 11/03/70 and serialized on 11/04/70, although it wasn't actually built until 11/30/70.

Steve

No - not at all.

Ray
I wonder what they mean by "date invoiced". My Boss was ordered on 11/03/70 and serialized on 11/04/70, although it wasn't actually built until 11/30/70.

Steve

Steve -

I would sure contact Kevin Marti on that one.

Your car is obviously very early production for a Boss. Dearborn or Metuchen??

Ray

Dearborn. It's early, but I've seen VIN's lower than mine, so it's not like the first one or anything. Here's copies of my deluxe Marti.

The cool thing about it is, according to Mustang by the Numbers from Marti, I've got the only '71 Mustang of any kind that's black with the code BE interior.

Steve

IMG_0001a1.jpg

IMG_0002a1.jpg

Back