LED dash light color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alan,

depends on what you want it to look like.

If you scroll down to middle of this page

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-dark-instrument-lights?pid=12164#pid12164

you'll see what white LEDs look like with the original old filters. The hue is almost exactly like in reality, the pic captures it really well.

If you want this color without the filters you should get blue ones.

If you want the greenish light that we all are used to with our ancient light bulbs, then there are LEDs that replicate that too.

Check different suppliers, as I remember that some had colors that others didn't have.

Alan, as stated above, color choice is part of the fun but by going with LED bulbs you'll be blown away with the brightness. I sure was.

Marty

Is there a thread anywhere that details how to change out the dash lights?

I have either burned out bulbs, or they are so dim / dirty that they don't light up. I have no problem with switching to LEDs but need to know how difficult they are to install.

The most difficult thing about changing the bulbs was getting the cluster out of the dash. I found that I had to fiddle a bit with contacts on the bulbs themselves to make sure they had good contact to close the circuit.

Just take your time in getting the cluster out and you will be ok.

The most difficult thing about changing the bulbs was getting the cluster out of the dash. Just take your time in getting the cluster out and you will be ok.
OK, so I suppose the questions has anybody done a writeup on how to get the cluster out? I know there are 4 small bolts on the front edge. How much is there after that?

If your talking about your 71 it's pretty straight forward remove the 4 screws. But I had to remove my steering wheel to get it all the way out. Also have to disconnect the speedo. Then you can tip it out without unplugging the wiring so you can fiddle with each bulb till you get good contacts. I had to replace the plastic flexible circuit board on mine.

The most difficult thing about changing the bulbs was getting the cluster out of the dash. Just take your time in getting the cluster out and you will be ok.
OK, so I suppose the questions has anybody done a writeup on how to get the cluster out? I know there are 4 small bolts on the front edge. How much is there after that?
As Musty wrote just above this post, it is no big deal getting the cluster out. It is some fiddling though. I have the grant wood steering wheel and did not need to take it off, but it was a tight fit.

I had to unplug the alternator socket with the instrument cluster in place as that one is connected to a separate cable. I don't know whether this is stock or not, because some previous owner had messed around behind the dash.

If the cluster doesn't move check this first.

Once you have it out, I recommend some tweaking for maximum gain from the new LEDs.

Check this link, where I posted this info, so I don't need to hijack this thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-dark-instrument-lights?pid=11817#pid11817

It's really no big deal, as I was able to pull it off all by myself, without breaking anything or hurting anyone! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As Musty wrote just above this post, it is no big deal getting the cluster out. It is some fiddling though. I have the grant wood steering wheel and did not need to take it off, but it was a tight fit.

I had to unplug the alternator socket with the instrument cluster in place as that one is connected to a separate cable. I don't know whether this is stock or not, because some previous owner had messed around behind the dash.

If the cluster doesn't move check this first.

Once you have it out, I recommend some tweaking for maximum gain from the new LEDs.

Check this link, where I posted this info, so I don't need to hijack this thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-dark-instrument-lights?pid=11817#pid11817

It's really no big deal, as I was able to pull it off all by myself, without breaking anything or hurting anyone! :D
I dropped my steering column so I could get the cluster out ...it just takes some patience to wiggle the bulbs around to make sure you have good contact.

The direct wired alternator socket is stock.

I am aslo having a same problem and i am here to get the solution of this problem and I had search a lot of the things to get the right answer .

The direct wired alternator socket is stock.
I don't remember a direct wire alt socket....trying to rack my brains for it

Two years ago I went with the extra bright white lamps and a set of clean blue diffusers....looks just like the pic referenced. I got the deluxe kit from HiPo. The color schematic he sent was great - especially since it showed the correct orientation of the lamps for each location. While I was at it, I disassembled the both my main instrument and center gauge clusters, cleaned them and painted them a bright white satin on the back side. Took a long time to properly tape everything off to prevent over spray. Well worth the effort. In fact I recall using parts from an older (kinda beat up) spare instrument cluster to help in masking.

I always pull the steering wheel when removing the dash cluster. Place towel on steering column to prevent inadvertent scratching. Biggest pain is disconnecting the speedo cable (takes forever to get it to released and is usually good for removing some pieces of skin from the backs of your hands). Carefully disconnect electrical plug. As noted, take your time. The four bolt head screws are the least of the problems.

Back