Riveted Upper Ball Joint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Diagnosed the "CLUNK" in my front end of my 1973 Mach 1 as a BAD upper ball joint.

Went to determine if it is a "3" or "4" bolt upper ball joint, it was NEITHER!!!...it's 3 mushroomed rivets!!!...DIFFICULT to get a socket on a mushroom rivet!!!

Have others encountered the dreaded "Mushroom Rivets"??!!

Time to get out the grinder.

My Question is...Will the rivet pattern match up to a NEW 3 BOLT upper ball joint?!

Was PLEASED to find my upper pivot arm had a zerk fitting on either end.

Are the zerk fittings factory or aftermarket drilled?! ...THANKS!!!

The bolt on are the replacement style ball joints. Grinding or the chisel is how you get them off. The three bolts will line up. It should come with hardened bolts. The grease fittings were not factory. Good luck.

The bolt on are the replacement style ball joints. Grinding or the chisel is how you get them off. The three bolts will line up. It should come with hardened bolts. The grease fittings were not factory. Good luck.
Hello Judge; Very much appreciate your input. On "1" hand I need a chisel or grinder. on the other hand I have upgraded zerk fittings...Thanks!, Mark

Back