Well-known facts...that are wrong!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Over the years I have run into plenty of "experts" that repeat and claim certain common knowledge that is well-known and generally accepted as "fact", even though it is erroneous.

For example:

How many times have you heard someone make the claim that the "W" in motor oil ( for instance: 20W-50) means "weight"? Sounds logical, but it is incorrect.

It really stands for "winter", designating that the oil is formulated to be used in "winter driving conditions".

Some "experts" will argue thier incorrect "facts" to the point of getting nasty!

There are plenty examples of this around...who has some more?

I found this on Google.

"The W or winter number is important for low temperature performance. Referring to the J300 table, to list a multi-viscosity oil as a 10W the Cranking (cP) max at temperature of -25C (-13F) can not be higher than 7000 and the Pumping (cP) max with no yield stress at temperature of -30C (-22F) can not be higher than 60,000. As you can see from the table, the lower the W number the lower the Cranking (cP) at lower temperatures. This means that when your engine is cold the lower the W number the easier the oil will flow."

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbe "M" stands for "Michigan", as in "Michigan Casting Center", the foundry where the blocks were made.

All wrong:

M-codes are Boss 351s.

Stunt drivers wrecked four 302 Mustangs during the shooting of Diamonds are Forever.

All Mach 1s have NACA/NASA hoods.

Eleanor was a 1973 Mustang with a 1971 front end.

Eleanor was a 1971 Mustang with a 1972 hood.

Eleanor was a 1971 Mustang with 1973 fenders and bumper.

Cowl rot is overrated.

You can put a Ford 400 block in a Mustang with no modifications because it's just a tall-deck 351C.

Ford "400M"

Factory-installed, 1973 date-coded parts will not be found in a July 1972 build for the 1972 model year.

All NACA/NASA hoods are Ram Air hoods.

All NACA/NASA hoods have tu-tone paint.

All NACA/NASA hoods are supposed to have twist locks.

The bright trim on the driprails and around the windows are supposed to be high-polished and shine like chrome to be factory correct.

And the kicker:

"Just buy the car and worry about ____ later. ____ won't be that hard to fix."

-Kurt

Common European misconception:

all 123 Mustangs are Mach1s.

All Mach1s are 123 Mustangs ( as in "there are no 69 or 70s Mach1s")

...or 74-78 Mach 1s either!

I owned a '79 Lincoln Mk-V, and the emissions decal attached to the driver-side valve-cover identified the engine as a "351M/400".

The specs in the owner manual and other places listed it as a "400".

Here's another one: ever heard that the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for "assault rifle"? That is a fairly common one.

It actually stands for "ArmaLite Rifle", the designer of the rifle.

Or, how about a PCV valve being called a "Pollution Control Valve"? Actually, if that were correct, you would be saying "valve" twice in the name.

It is actually "Positive Crankcase Ventilation"...which I am sure we all know on this site.

Last edited:
I owned a '79 Lincoln Mk-V, and the emissions decal attached to the driver-side valve-cover identified the engine as a "351M/400".

The specs in the owner manual and other places listed it as a "400".
And they're all Cartier editions, because the clock says so. :rolleyes:

-Kurt

Re: ported vacuum.

Ported vacuum does indeed "activate" at a higher RPM than idle, as opposed to full manifold vacuum which is strongest at idle.

...or 74-78 Mach 1s either!

Or, how about a PCV valve being called a "Pollution Control Valve"? Actually, if that were correct, you would be saying "valve" twice in the name.

It is actually "Positive Crankcase Ventilation"...which I am sure we all know on this site.
Some folks call it "PVC valve". :dodgy:

as in - Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe

WRONG.

Ray

Some folks call it "PVC valve". :dodgy:

as in - Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe

WRONG.

Ray
Too true...

rofl

Or how about those that call the transmission fluid 'Dextron' vice 'Dexron?'

How about these incorrect "engine facts" from the, uhh....experts:

1) the 440 HEMI

2) Every 302 with 4-barrell is now magically a "BOSS 302".

3) '69 Z-28 had a "Ford" 302 in it.

4) 4-V means "4-valve"

Back