valve/push rod problem???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71/351c/darkhorse

Reaction score
My Car
i have a 1971 grande coupe with a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel motor. she was half way fixed up now looking to do the rest.
ok guys so when i my car was running, i had an issue. debating on whether to pull the engine or not right now. when i would get on her and go threw the gears. on my last gear (fmx trans) i would get a loud clicking noise that was coming from, im guessing here because i was in the car, my number 3 or 4 cylinder. it was closer to me on passenger side. it would follow the rpm. now i was only around 3500 to 4000 range which isnt crazy high. it only sounded like one lifter though. steady sound and would go away agter awhile. any ideas?

If it is a valve train issue I would expect the noise in all gears, and als0 when in neutral and running in the same rpm range. I would make sure that it's not a transmission issue.

Assuming it is engine related, I would suspect a stuck hydraulic lifter, to begin with. No need to pull the engine, just take off the valve cover and watch and listen to the valve train. Be prepared for some oil to splash around, though.

Another possibility is low oil pressure, not pumping up the lifters. Make sure the oil level is correct. I have also seen badly plugged oil filters cause this. Very loose main bearings can also cause low oil pressure.

Other possibilities include bent push rod, cam lobe wearing down, damaged rocker, and broken valve spring.

My 351C does the same... after a high RPM romp there is lifter click that goes away after maybe 30 min of

normal driving.

My oil pressure is fine and I chalk it up to cheap lifters.

Soon I will run a solid lifter cam setup with adjustable rockers and they will ALL clack and that will be normal!

my father always said if you hear em' they aint' burnin'

I'm just a big fan of solid lifters on a race motor and I think hydraulic lifters were invented for the Mrs.

oil pressure in lifter bores is low, bad lifter or comp lifters.

You might try a proper engine flush or a product like Sea Foam engine treatment (silly name, works well). Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

Chuck

ive tested my oil pressure before it said i think 75psi. before the tube shot off the fitting and drenched me in a quart of hot oil. it was a fun day.

ive tested my oil pressure before it said i think 75psi. before the tube shot off the fitting and drenched me in a quart of hot oil. it was a fun day.
Try the engine flush. Follow the directions exactly. Chuck

Back