Instrument cluster help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.knight0926

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 347 stroker
I have a 73 coupe that has a cluster with the warning light assembly in the instrument cluster on the dash. I want to put one in with a tach instead but I am having trouble finding an original/repo tach or a entire cluster. Where can I get either? and any tips?

Thank you,

Ben Knight

I saw 2 complete assemblies today at the show/swap meet in Pensacola this morning. I didn't get the guys name though.

I found my cluster on ebay, the only problem with that is with any other auction....determine a price and don't be surprised when you get outbid. I have seen clusters and harness go in the $300 range....this just reminds me...didn't Hemikiller have one listed in the parts he wanted to get rid of ?

Welcome Ben. I bought one off ebay 2 years ago. I think it was $125. Still not sure if it works. I thought I would put it in my fastback. I don't really want to get rid of it. I would keep an eye on ebay or give it a little time on here. Some people don't get on here everyday like me. While your waiting you ought to go to the introduction forum so we can give you a proper welcome. Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 73 coupe that has a cluster with the warning light assembly in the instrument cluster on the dash. I want to put one in with a tach instead but I am having trouble finding an original/repo tach or a entire cluster. Where can I get either? and any tips?

Thank you,

Ben Knight
I resolved the same issue on my in progress 73 conv resto. Don from Ohio Mustangs has a couple storage facilities of parts for our cars. He pulled the entire assembly for me with harness and guages. I had to buy the console for the guages but he might be worth a try.

If you are installing tach cluster and center gauge cluster. the 1973 under dash and under hood wiring is different than the warning light harness. Voltage regulator harness is different.

on the other hand I recall seeing a write up a number of years back where some guy explained how you could modify the "idiot light" harness to make it work. I'm thinking it was on VMF 10+ years back. Possibly someone might still have a copy of it somewhere. (Do things ever really disappear from the web?)

Mine was originally a non tach cluster but P/O added a tach into the cluster and hard wired the tach. Only problem no lights on the left side because circuit board all different. I went back to lights and added a column tach

Alan L

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this one though with one heck of a writeup!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/246871-1973-mustang-factory-tachometer-installation.html

and I like how he did the gauges in the middle part of the dash
This is the one I just did but with all the stock gauges instead of the aftermarket center gauges. Unfortunately, you have to hack up your cluster plug and wiring...wasn't an issue for me seeing as P/O already beat me to the hacking:D

I bought a new PCB, took my time because I'm HORRIBLE at electrical stuff, had to get some help, but in the end it's all working. I do have to get some new terminals that go into cluster plug. Either way, it's a good write up and it DOES work if you take your time, especially when you saw the plug..

Good luck, let me know if I can help in any way.

Back