Fire Damage - Need Great North Texas Paint and Body Shop?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a 1973 mustang coupe restomod that is an ongoing project for 20+ years.
Sunday I had and engine fire that took out the passenger side fender, door and hood. This was due to a backfire and fuel leak.

I will be looking for a Great Paint shop in the next two to three months. Any help with recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe!

Sunday I had and engine fire that took out the passenger side fender, door and hood. This was due to a backfire and fuel leak.

I will be looking for a Great Paint shop in the next two to three months. Any help with recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe!
Wow,

Not sure about north Texas but there are plenty of good shops in Houston. Really sorry for your loss there. This is a good example of why we all need to carry or have available a high quality fire extinguisher in or near our cars. Very cheap insurance.

Could you post more details on how you were able to save the car please? We could all benifit from your experience. A perfect teaching moment here!

It took three fire extinguishers one was from inside the car. It looks like a gas Leak from the back bowl on the holly carb. The hood was shut and I heard the backfire then smoke. The scariest part was it was in the garage. The insurance is with haggerty and we are working to see how close to totaled it is. The amount it's insured for is $12,000 so we will see what they say. I say the car is totally savable. We are lookin at engine wiring, ac lines, hoses, distributor and coil and also paint on the fender hood and door.

Yes, Gas Monkey is in Dallas but I don't know anybody who has worked with them. Also I'm afraid of the cost now they are famous.

The best advice is keep at least on fire extinguisher in each car and a big one for the garage.

I can post photos later I just don't have them with me.

It took three fire extinguishers one was from inside the car. It looks like a gas Leak from the back bowl on the holly carb. The hood was shut and I heard the backfire then smoke. The scariest part was it was in the garage. The insurance is with haggerty and we are working to see how close to totaled it is. The amount it's insured for is $12,000 so we will see what they say. I say the car is totally savable. We are lookin at engine wiring, ac lines, hoses, distributor and coil and also paint on the fender hood and door.

Yes, Gas Monkey is in Dallas but I don't know anybody who has worked with them. Also I'm afraid of the cost now they are famous.

The best advice is keep at least on fire extinguisher in each car and a big one for the garage.

I can post photos later I just don't have them with me.
Thanks for the information. I have one in my car and several around my garage always ready to go. I am very conscious of what could happen. I had a three year old Lennox air handler in my attic catch on fire Thanksgiving day in 2010. The funny thing was that it was OFF when it happened. When I say off I mean totally off with the selector I. The off position meaning no heat or A/C needed.

Even though it was off there is power going to it. It was a circuit board that caused the fire. Since then I have multiple fire extinguishers in my attic near each furnace (3) that are ready to go if needed.

Lennox replaced the air handler without cost even though it was out of warranty. Moral of story is have plenty of fire extinguishers!

Back