Best Sheetmetal for the $$

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgonzo

Reaction score
My Car
72 standard
Need to start accumulating some parts. I will need the front aprons and the radiator support. Any preffered brand or ones I should stay away from?? Seems the Dynacorn stuff is higher priced, better product??

Thanks.........jim

My experience had me checking in with Don at OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply) - see what he's got. He only stocks the good stuff, and if he doesn't have it or can't get it, he'll let you know.

My back-up plan was then a toss-up between National Parts Depot and CJ Pony Parts - depending on who had what (one would have this part, but not that one, and the other would have what the other didn't, and so forth).

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the vendors we have listed here - they're all top-notch. I just like that with OMS, you're an actual person and not just a customer number - plus Don spends a lot of time here, so you will more often than not get an answer straight from him. ;) :D

What are your plans for the car? Faithful restoration? Restomod? Are you hoping to use as many OEM or original pieces/parts as possible, or will reproduction (repop) get you where you want to be? Repop parts usually take a little bit of adjustment to fit just right.

I would have to say that mine is now somewhere around 50% repop sheet metal (fenders, f/r valances, battery tray & apron, quarter panels, floor pans, trunk pan & drop-offs, taillight panel, and trunk lid). My interior is also pretty much 80-85% reproduction pieces - I'm kind of in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so it's all pretty much mail-order, since there are very few salvageable '71-'73s anywhere near me.

Hope this helps!

Repro sheet metal... it depends on the part.

As for Dynacorn - some of their stuff , they have made and it is better, some is the same as everyone else's, just has their sticker on it.

Plus when a part comes out, the tooling is new and has nice lines. As it gets old the parts are not as nice. So what someone liked years ago, may be crap now.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

As for Dynacorn - some of their stuff , they have made and it is better, some is the same as everyone else's, just has their sticker on it.

Plus when a part comes out, the tooling is new and has nice lines. As it gets old the parts are not as nice. So what someone liked years ago, may be crap now.

Don
And that - honesty - right there is why Don @ OMS is my primary source.

Thanks Don!

Ray

I also don't think I could've timed my response any better - told him Don would most likely reply, and 15 minutes later - bam! The man delivers. rofl

My experience had me checking in with Don at OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply) - see what he's got. He only stocks the good stuff, and if he doesn't have it or can't get it, he'll let you know.

My back-up plan was then a toss-up between National Parts Depot and CJ Pony Parts - depending on who had what (one would have this part, but not that one, and the other would have what the other didn't, and so forth).

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the vendors we have listed here - they're all top-notch. I just like that with OMS, you're an actual person and not just a customer number - plus Don spends a lot of time here, so you will more often than not get an answer straight from him. ;) :D

What are your plans for the car? Faithful restoration? Restomod? Are you hoping to use as many OEM or original pieces/parts as possible, or will reproduction (repop) get you where you want to be? Repop parts usually take a little bit of adjustment to fit just right.

I would have to say that mine is now somewhere around 50% repop sheet metal (fenders, f/r valances, battery tray & apron, quarter panels, floor pans, trunk pan & drop-offs, taillight panel, and trunk lid). My interior is also pretty much 80-85% reproduction pieces - I'm kind of in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so it's all pretty much mail-order, since there are very few salvageable '71-'73s anywhere near me.

Hope this helps!
More than likely restomod.....There are too many updated things you can do to these cars to make them better than they were factory. I'm talking mostly powertrain and suspension wise. My main goal is to get the car back on the road so I can use it for now, than eventually either restore fully or sell and get a Mach. I've hade two Mach1's in my past, at differt times, and they are still my first Mustang love.

Car has been sitting for 15 years so I need to get the old fuel out of the tank and get some fresh stuff in there. The radiator never popped when the collision happened so I'm thinking I can get it started. When I brought it home I put a battery in it and it turned over just fine. I'll more than likely change the oil, fresh cap, rotor and wires and give it a shot. Carb needs to be freed up but that's no biggie...... We'll see.

Wow - that's doesn't sound bad at all. Should be a fun project, and just challenging enough to help hone the skills and/or learn some more if necessary for when it's time to get that Mach 1 you're after. ;) :D

Good luck and definitely keep us posted - we love projects and seeing all the cool stuff come together. ::thumb::

Don
And that - honesty - right there is why Don @ OMS is my primary source.

Thanks Don!

Ray
+1

If you have to get quarters I would personally go for the full quarters produced by Dynacorn. I have not used them but have used the skins that everyone sells under the same tooling name "goldenrod or something like that"....I wished I would have used the full re-pops but they were not available at the time. And if Dons view is correct about the age of the tooling they should be good because they just started making them. I had to reshape the re-poop skins for proper fit, What a pain. Like I said I have not used the fulls but they have to be better than the skins.

Don
How do '73 fenders fit this scenario?

Goodmark is $80 cheaper per side. Are they trash?

I just went through this with floor pans. If you go through forums, and various opinions are out there I came to one that finally made sense. It's all going to be different. Different steel is different steel combined with the tooling over time. Now there are theories that all these panels are made in the same place, then shipped off to have their company slap their name on it and call it theirs. Very sad, but very possible in this day and age. In the case of my floor pan I ended up driving myself nearly nuts and went with goodmark for the simple fact that it was affordable and if it were junk I could say lesson learned, get a more expensive product, and hope for the best while I move on. But in all reality it was a fine stamp, a little thinner than I hoped, but did the job just fine.

Don's explanation is a perfectly good one. Because one trend you will notice in your research is one guy will have a great experience with a company, while another will have a horrible time with the same product. Another thing that comes with this territory is that the cars we are restoring are nowhere near where they started, and the combination of torque and horsepower does funny things. Massaging is normal, and may not be at the fault of the new part. Just something to keep in mind.

Don
How do '73 fenders fit this scenario?

Goodmark is $80 cheaper per side. Are they trash?
Who ever is quoting you Dynacorn fenders at 80.00 MORE than other brands ...

Well - run away from them

I've seen Dynacorn for $369, Sherman for $281, and Goodmark for $240.

I just want the fender that has good lines.

Do they all "include the stamped steel panel found behind the front fender extensions"?

I've seen Dynacorn for $369, Sherman for $281, and Goodmark for $240.

I just want the fender that has good lines.

Do they all "include the stamped steel panel found behind the front fender extensions"?
I'm at 314.95

The 240.00 doesn't seem right

Watch out for shipping costs

years ago, someone made an aftermarket emblem , like the 427 Power by Ford cobra fender emblems, that said "Cleveland powered by Ford". I haven't seen any in years. I'm kinda sorta interested in putting one, ( or Two ), on my Mach1, but I gotta find 'em first. Anyone know who still makes the fender emblem ( not a stock emblem.)

Back