Start 302 with clutch and bell housing off?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobct

Reaction score
My Car
1971 convertible 302
Purchased A 1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302. I bought with blown clutch (right through the Bell Housing). I took it apart and noticed oil covering the inside of the bell housing. I want to check for a rear main seal leak. Can I start the car with just the flywheel on and run it a little to check for a leak. I am also going to check the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gaskets. Any other suggestions? Thanks Bob In CT

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need something to spin the engine with. Either front drive starter or a traditional rear mount but you'll need the flywheel and belhousing mount and spin it.

You will need something to spin the engine with. Either front drive starter or a traditional rear mount but you'll need the flywheel and belhousing mount and spin it.

The starter mounts to the block side, I don't think the bolts go through to the bell housing. Right?

Personally I wouldn't bother starting it.

If it's original, I'd bet it leaks.

Don't think I've ever seen an original that didn't.

Oil pan will have to come down, and chances are reeeeally good that the cork gasket oozes all over anyways. To do the mains, you'll have to loosen or drop the main caps too. Might as well do the front main while you're that far.

Then... while you're there... mmmmm, bearings...

Dad used to call these kinds of things "lighting the fuse"... Start with one goal in mind, and it can manifest itself into a wildly burning fuse that is a lot harder to extinguish than intended :)

On the 5.8 (351W) that I'm doing for my car, it came with the modern rubber coated gaskets. That engine was almost too clean on the outside... no leaks from rocker covers or oil pan. Even my stock original '90 5.0 is pretty dry @140K miles... I will be using the late model style Fel-Pro gaskets to reassemble... well worth the extra couple of bucks over OE uncoated cork IMO.

If you do decide to go there... light that fuse... beware that there are both 4 piece and 1 piece pan gaskets available. I used the recommended 4 piece (same as OE used on this truck block) set with the new steel pan. There are some pans that have a different radius where the gasket surface meets the front cover/rear main "arched" seals. I'd guess that your original pan will require the same 4 piece deal, but do research the options first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back