'71 Mach 1 - please critique

donkost

Hey guys- Feel free to critique this one for me:

http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-c-2273.htm?make=FORD&model=MUSTANG&

It's an H code so I figured ok, someone probably installed an intake and 4 barrel carb, headers, etc. which are pretty common swaps with these to bring up the HP. Then I'm looking at the engine pics, and it doesn't even appear to be a Cleveland! I noticed that it only says 351 multiple places in the online description and never the word Cleveland. I come from a Pontiac background and I'm used to spotting these things like a 403 Olds in a '79 Trans Am rather than a 400 Pontiac. Those are easy due to a big old oil filler sticking up in front on the Olds.

This Mach 1 does have the 05 VIN code but what's up with the chrome trim on the leading edge of the hood and the front fenders? I figured it was a striped up 02 VIN Sportsroof, but no it has the Mach 1 VIN code. I'm already used to accepting the chrome front bumper on a Mach 1 due to the difficulty in obtaining replacement urethane front bumpers. But I don't think that chrome trim should be elsewhere on the front of the car. This car caught my attention originally due to the 4 speed, but the asking price is too high (almost a given with a dealer) and the engine shoots the whole thing down for me anyway. I believe they offer covered shipping along with their price, but IMO it is too high for this car regardless.

This is not meant to be a critique (as I don't do those) but I would like to state there was only ONE fast back "H' Code built in 1971 with the 4-speed.

The Marti report would be interesting for this one, in my opinion.

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.

1) Looks to be an incorrect shade of yellow

2) Hockey-stick stripes look to be cut off at door gaps instead of wrapped around.

3) Black-out painted incorrectly

4) Missing hood pins (If in combo with black-out)

5) incorrect front-end chrome trim (should have body-colored hood and fender trim, and eurathane bumper)

6) Mirrors black instead of body-color

7) Wrong engine (no 351 Windsors installed in 71-73 [American] Mustangs)

8) Fiberglass "Ram-Air" air-cleaner replica...not very convincing up close.

9) Wrong seat covers (Does not have "mach 1" interior)

10) Wrong steering wheel (Deluxe 2-spoke standard in mach 1)

It appears to be a standard low-option "sportroof" that has been trimmed up to resemble a Mach 1. The giveaway (among other things) is the center dash emblem: If this were a true Mach 1, it would say "Mach 1" on it instead of just "Mustang".

But...it still looks to be a nice car. For the right price, why not? I would say $15,000, maybe $20,000 if it runs good and looks good up close.

Most certainly NOT the $35,000 or whatever they are asking.

A check of the VIN will tell the tale...

Well that's the kicker, the VIN is listed as 1F05H215943. What's that old saying- there's something rotten in the state of Denmark? ha This isn't a car where they would want to show a Marti report to any potential customers. And this place seems to move a lot of iron so they should know what these cars are and what they are not.

The engine is definitely a 351 Windsor due to the by-pass hose jutting out of the intake manifold. 351 Cleveland motors did not have the by-pass hose, only the 302 and 351W.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

The engine is definitely a 351 Windsor due to the by-pass hose jutting out of the intake manifold. 351 Cleveland motors did not have the by-pass hose, only the 302 and 351W.

And Clevelands do not have the thermostat housing and radiator hose connected to the intake manifold.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Car probably came with 3 speed manual shift.

Just a hunch...

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

1) Looks to be an incorrect shade of yellow

2) Hockey-stick stripes look to be cut off at door gaps instead of wrapped around.

3) Black-out painted incorrectly

4) Missing hood pins (If in combo with black-out)

5) incorrect front-end chrome trim (should have body-colored hood and fender trim, and eurathane bumper)

6) Mirrors black instead of body-color

7) Wrong engine (no 351 Windsors installed in 71-73 [American] Mustangs)

8) Fiberglass "Ram-Air" air-cleaner replica...not very convincing up close.

9) Wrong seat covers (Does not have "mach 1" interior)

10) Wrong steering wheel (Deluxe 2-spoke standard in mach 1)

It appears to be a standard low-option "sportroof" that has been trimmed up to resemble a Mach 1. The giveaway (among other things) is the center dash emblem: If this were a true Mach 1, it would say "Mach 1" on it instead of just "Mustang".

But...it still looks to be a nice car. For the right price, why not? I would say $15,000, maybe $20,000 if it runs good and looks good up close.

Most certainly NOT the $35,000 or whatever they are asking.

A check of the VIN will tell the tale...

Kit, are you sure on your comment about the center dash. "The giveaway (among other things) is the center dash emblem: If this were a true Mach 1, it would say "Mach 1" on it instead of just "Mustang"." My older brother's first Mach 1 had the standard interior, without comfortweave and without the guage package. I remember his center dash saying Mustang. I have never seen that standard center stack with "Mach 1" in it.

As for the rest of the interior, it looks like someone ordered the Black/Black Mach 1 covers and did not put the medallions on. The upholstery job looks too loose for a Ford job.

Not criticizing, just learning!

First and foremost: it's a good lookin' car. If the restorer would've paid a bit more attention to details and gotten them right, it would garner more money. But, since they didn't, you have value-detracting flaws that have been pointed out.

That's TMI Deluxe upholstery - I know, since I put the exact same stuff (sport seat version, though) in mine. The bucket covers don't come with the brightwork buttons, and the originals are a PITA to remove from the original seat covers for re-use.

It looks like a hodge-podge of after market and restored parts to put this one back together. Aside from the obvious 351 Windsor, some of the details don't match. For instance:

• Mach1 would've had a clock "somewhere" in the car - in this case, in-place of the warning light instrument cluster
  • Deluxe seats usually came with Deluxe door panels and chrome-trimmed dash panels
  • Ram Air and Tutone hood black out were added, based on missing hood locks
  • Non A/C car with center ducts in dashboard

BT, are you sure about only being 1 H-code with a 4-sp? I wouldn't think transmission codes would be dictated by engine codes.

Like I said, good lookin' car. Just need the details corrected for that kind of money and to be presented as 'stock' configuration.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

First and foremost: it's a good lookin' car. If the restorer would've paid a bit more attention to details and gotten them right, it would garner more money. But, since they didn't, you have value-detracting flaws that have been pointed out.

That's TMI Deluxe upholstery - I know, since I put the exact same stuff (sport seat version, though) in mine. The bucket covers don't come with the brightwork buttons, and the originals are a PITA to remove from the original seat covers for re-use.

It looks like a hodge-podge of after market and restored parts to put this one back together. Aside from the obvious 351 Windsor, some of the details don't match. For instance:

• Mach1 would've had a clock "somewhere" in the car - in this case, in-place of the warning light instrument cluster
  • Deluxe seats usually came with Deluxe door panels and chrome-trimmed dash panels
  • Ram Air and Tutone hood black out were added, based on missing hood locks
  • Non A/C car with center ducts in dashboard

BT, are you sure about only being 1 H-code with a 4-sp? I wouldn't think transmission codes would be dictated by engine codes.

Like I said, good lookin' car. Just need the details corrected for that kind of money and to be presented as 'stock' configuration.

Yes, according to "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967-1973)", Page 104, there was only one 351 2V Fastback built with the 4-speed (wide ratio) transmission.

It is not broken down as to whether that one unit was a Mach 1 or not which is why I said the "Marti" report on the car in question might prove interesting. Who knows, it just might have been that one fastback that was built in 1971 with a 351 2V and four speed transmission:).

Great Thread!

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.

Car probably came with 3 speed manual shift.

Just a hunch...

Ray

Probably like what happened to mine, the previous owner blew out the 3 speed, and swapped in a 4 speed top loader.

I'd bet a lot of 3 speed standards didn't survive long in these cars.

The lone 351 2V w/ 4 speed is very well documented and has been the subject of several indepth articles. It was discovered some time ago.

+1

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

If that VIN hasn't been swapped, I'll bet that it was a 3-speed H-code which has since received a toploader swap.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Kit, are you sure on your comment about the center dash. "The giveaway (among other things) is the center dash emblem: If this were a true Mach 1, it would say "Mach 1" on it instead of just "Mustang"." My older brother's first Mach 1 had the standard interior, without comfortweave and without the guage package. I remember his center dash saying Mustang. I have never seen that standard center stack with "Mach 1" in it.

+1 on the MUSTANG on the center dash. Mine also came with the MUSTANG on the center dash, had the Corinthian Mach 1 Interior. Not all came with MACH 1 on the center dash.

#DontMachMe making the rounds and being abused all the way

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1292]Check Out Guys Garage[/button]

Current stable- Ford Parking Only

1972 Mach 1 Mustang

1969 Bronco Sport

1964 Falcon 

2002 F250 4x4 w/ tuned 7.3 diesel

2015 Fusion Ecoboost Hybrid

Keep in mind - it's a 43-year-old car, that's undergone some kind of restoration effort. If the center dash plastic was trashed, a different piece could have just as easily been swapped in. After all, the restorer kind of missed the boat on some of the other details. ;) :D

If the VINs all match, and say it's an H-code Mach 1, then it's an H-code Mach 1. If not, then the best bet is on the shock tower VIN stampings to be the correct VIN for the car (not guaranteed... but it's a lot harder to change those than a dashboard cover or door sticker).

I'm just sayin' it's impossible to know for sure if the pieces and parts on the car are original or not after all this time.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

If that VIN hasn't been swapped, I'll bet that it was a 3-speed H-code which has since received a toploader swap.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it.

-Kurt

Great discussion here, and yes that flemingsultimategarage.com car must have been a top loader swap. I have to chuckle where the description states things like "detailed engine compartment & trunk w/correct jack & spare". The car doesn't even have the correct type of engine! (Windsor vs. Cleveland) Ah minor point I know, as long as you have the correct jack and spare you're good to go...

Here's another interesting H code manual trans car where the seller dances around with the description. At least a partial pic of the Marti report is included and it does mention a 3 speed manual trans. Take a look at the pics of the engine. I enhanced one of those and brightened it up a bit, and it looks like another 351 Windsor! The shape of the valve covers and the radiator hose which looks like it is going into a neck on the intake manifold give it away. I've been looking at early 70's Mustangs for over a year and honestly I never used to check the engine pics to make sure a 351 Cleveland was in there (unless it's a 302 car of course). Have to wonder how many of these are changing hands where the new owner thinks they have a 351 Cleveland and they do not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191423068206?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 3 months later...

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)