carb issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 4bb swapped Q code
89 cummins swapped 4x4 f350
96 f350 dually stock
Alright guys here is the issue, I got a nice driver quality 76 charger as payment for rent the other day and it has a slightly built 318 in it that puts out around 250-260 hp. the vacuum secondaries didn't work but it drove nice and stopped very well. Today I put a smaller carb with mechanical secondary ( 750 to a 650) it runs nicer under 3k rpms and now I can't stop to save my life the pedal goes to the floor and wont hold the car still if you go above idle with the brakes held the booster is plumed to the manifold so I didn't mess with that. What is going on here?

Double check that the pcv, egr, and power brake lines are connected.

Could just be coincidental. Did you check the fluid level? If it's OK I and you don't have a rusted out brake line, a bad caliper or wheel cylinder I would suspect the master cylinder or the brake booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the wall but check if the booster is holding vacuum by... with motor off pull the

vacuum fitting off the booster and you should hear air rush in... if not that plastic fitting

is bad... it's a one way check valve.

Good luck

Paul

I don't think a booster issue will show up as the pedal going to the floor. My guess is bad MC or air in the lines.

How does the pedal feel when the car is not running?

Back