Finally pulled the engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72MustangCoupe

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
2014 Mustang Convertible
Me and my dad finally found the time to hook up the engine harness and pull the engine. With the help of a neighbor, it took us about 1 hour considering the past few weeks we have been disconnecting hoses, motor mounts and etc that must be done to pull the engine. It's just a little 302 2v that we will be cleaning up and dropping back in but we plan to install a new timing chain, paint the engine, degrease it and out new grease on. Engine is very clean... Only 86,000 original miles. I'm only 15 years old and me and my dad are taking on this project as we love mustangs (owned three) and are huge FMC fans ourselves. We are taking this project slowly and are both learning in the process. First time my neighbor, my dad, and I have ever pulled an engine and it went all too well. At first the transmission was catching onto something and we finally cleared the issue. It came out very smoothly. I will post some pictures of the motor itself and engine bay. Sorry this may be one huge run on nonsense paragraph I am just thinking of what to include as it comes to mind. I would love any recommendations on what we should/shouldn't do as regards to the engine. We plan to leave the car completely original as that is how we bought it. We just need to make the necessary changes and improvements to make it road worthy. Only engine modifications may be Tri-Y headers and a totally new exhaust system (dual exhaust/flowmasters). Anything anyone recommends?

Motor Is sitting nicely on the cross members of the motor stand. Hint the box of the new nasa hood we ordered.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the father and son projects! Can't wait to follow the project and see how it turns out.. :) Any pics of the car? :)
I had the original thread for me and my fathers build going but I realized I had it posted in the introductions and not under the individual project builds. To summarize it, I will just tell you about the car and options here.

302 2v

Power disc brakes

Power steering

FMX automatic transmission

Standard Vinyl interior - Medium Ginger

AM Radio

Sport mirrors

Protection package (I think that's what it's called) includes full side trimming on doors and fenders, rocker panel trim, front and rear bumper guards, and etc.

Poverty caps

Paint Code - 6F (Gold glow)

White vinyl top. (Not a grande with the grande badge) just a vinyl top with mustang badge.

I will post a picture of my two build sheets and dealership invoice if I missed anything.

Car is completely original... Bought it November 27th, 2013. Thanksgiving day of 2014 marked the one year anniversary and the day after (yesterday) we pulled the engine...

Car was owned by an elderly couple in Elkhart Indiana and was only driven on sunny, warm days and never brought out in the rain. Garaged all of its life. They later sold it to a couple in sellersburg Indiana in either 2004 or 2005 for $8000 I believe. Car was then sold to their daughter whom we bought it from who has owned it since 2005. She lived in Louisville (where we live) closer to downtown. She left it under a tree in her front driveway and as we know... Trees and vinyl tops do not mix well...

We bought the car for $4300 after knocking it down from the original price of $4800... Car was on craigslist many times over the period of 2 years. Very few offers were Made which to me... Is great but crazy at the same time... We have found a treasure - a time capsule from the 70s.

After spending the past year dissassembling the car for restoration, we have seen just how rust free this car is even though it spent the majority of its life living next to one of the Great Lakes and simply living on the east coast portion of the United states. The car was ziebarted in 1972 - for those who don't know, it was the state of the art rust proof coating back then. The dealership left this as an available option and once payed for, they would use wands and spray the car from the inside and under with the coating. It really was worth the money.

Of the minimal rust we have found, they were in the left and right fenders in a little area with a hidden cave were water could wash up and had no place to escape. Very small holes and took very little effort to fix. A small place in the tailight panel that just needs to be cut out and rewelded, the front fender apron - worst rust spot on the car... We bought the piece to fix. Ziebart coating could not reach to the place where the bolts hold the fender on the car... We will simply cut this strip out and reweld it in. This may sound like a quite a bit of work, but I can assure you that this car is in great shape. The floor pans, trunk, engine bay, and all other areas of the car are immaculate and look as if they just came from the factory new. No surface rust! We are blessed.

I know this is long and to sum it up I will include many pictures and the ephemera that came with the car. When purchased, the owner gave me the original dealership invoice, a 1972 Ford Mustang facts book from 1972, the warranty facts booklet and the wonders manual into the "welcome to your owners manual" cover slip and 2 build sheets that I found when gutting the interior from the summer. All of these documents are in great shape. Is this stuff rare to have with a car? Thank you.

I like the father and son projects! Can't wait to follow the project and see how it turns out.. :) Any pics of the car? :)
I had the original thread for me and my fathers build going but I realized I had it posted in the introductions and not under the individual project builds. To summarize it, I will just tell you about the car and options here.

302 2v

Power disc brakes

Power steering

FMX automatic transmission

Standard Vinyl interior - Medium Ginger

AM Radio

Sport mirrors

Protection package (I think that's what it's called) includes full side trimming on doors and fenders, rocker panel trim, front and rear bumper guards, and etc.

Poverty caps

Paint Code - 6F (Gold glow)

White vinyl top. (Not a grande with the grande badge) just a vinyl top with mustang badge.

I will post a picture of my two build sheets and dealership invoice if I missed anything.

Car is completely original... Bought it November 27th, 2013. Thanksgiving day of 2014 marked the one year anniversary and the day after (yesterday) we pulled the engine...

Car was owned by an elderly couple in Elkhart Indiana and was only driven on sunny, warm days and never brought out in the rain. Garaged all of its life. They later sold it to a couple in sellersburg Indiana in either 2004 or 2005 for $8000 I believe. Car was then sold to their daughter whom we bought it from who has owned it since 2005. She lived in Louisville (where we live) closer to downtown. She left it under a tree in her front driveway and as we know... Trees and vinyl tops do not mix well...

We bought the car for $4300 after knocking it down from the original price of $4800... Car was on craigslist many times over the period of 2 years. Very few offers were Made which to me... Is great but crazy at the same time... We have found a treasure - a time capsule from the 70s.

After spending the past year dissassembling the car for restoration, we have seen just how rust free this car is even though it spent the majority of its life living next to one of the Great Lakes and simply living on the east coast portion of the United states. The car was ziebarted in 1972 - for those who don't know, it was the state of the art rust proof coating back then. The dealership left this as an available option and once payed for, they would use wands and spray the car from the inside and under with the coating. It really was worth the money.

Of the minimal rust we have found, they were in the left and right fenders in a little area with a hidden cave were water could wash up and had no place to escape. Very small holes and took very little effort to fix. A small place in the tailight panel that just needs to be cut out and rewelded, the front fender apron - worst rust spot on the car... We bought the piece to fix. Ziebart coating could not reach to the place where the bolts hold the fender on the car... We will simply cut this strip out and reweld it in. This may sound like a quite a bit of work, but I can assure you that this car is in great shape. The floor pans, trunk, engine bay, and all other areas of the car are immaculate and look as if they just came from the factory new. No surface rust! We are blessed.

I know this is long and to sum it up I will include many pictures and the ephemera that came with the car. When purchased, the owner gave me the original dealership invoice, a 1972 Ford Mustang facts book from 1972, the warranty facts booklet and the wonders manual into the "welcome to your owners manual" cover slip and 2 build sheets that I found when gutting the interior from the summer. All of these documents are in great shape. Is this stuff rare to have with a car? Thank you.

The first picture of the car is at the lady's house... First time I had ever seen the car before because my dad went to check it out and test drive if before buying it. It was going to be a suprise. This is the interior... She must have installed an aftermarket radio and sound system... That will be removed and not put back in the car.

My dads 2014 Ford Mustang convertible and the 1972 on the day we brought it home. The rear valance is destroyed because she backed into something. Sorry if I'm posting all of these wrong, been on this forum for about 6 months and still have trouble.

Here are the floor pans... Solid. This was from over the summer after I stripped the interior for 2 days.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow!!

Great story and history there. Wishing you all the very best and enjoyment as well for the restoration work to come on your Mustang. I was in a similar situation as you, in respect to starting off with a car that was in nice original condition, and building and improving on from there. Let us know how you get on as you progress into the future.

Handy Hint ................. If you have any original factory Gold Glow paintwork on any of your outside panels, use that as a reference to accurately color eye match more basecoat paint to either touch up or respray the entire car later. That method is the most accurate way of achieving the closest color match for your car.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Wow that is a good looking car. It's so cool a 15 year old is into the old mustangs. And good for you getting your first engine pull done.

My advice.. take your time getting it back in. No need to rush it. Also, just start each of the engine mount, engine to bellhousing bolts and transmission mounts a few turns until you get them all in place. Then you can snug each one down and then torque them. By leaving them loose you get a little wiggle room that will come in handy.

Wow that is a good looking car. It's so cool a 15 year old is into the old mustangs. And good for you getting your first engine pull done.

My advice.. take your time getting it back in. No need to rush it. Also, just start each of the engine mount, engine to bellhousing bolts and transmission mounts a few turns until you get them all in place. Then you can snug each one down and then torque them. By leaving them loose you get a little wiggle room that will come in handy.
Thank you sir. Car is going off to the body shop now... All body panels except for the nasa hood are at the shop. We will load it onto a trailer and send it soon... That will make room for the other mustang in the garage and a place to take the engine apart.

Nice solid car. Up here in the northeast finding cars in your condition is rare. I love reading about father and son projects I remember working with my dad years ago on my first mustang and how much fun it was learning for him the in's and outs of blue oval products. He like I are life long ford guys. Enjoy this time with your dad life is short and your time with him even shorter. Great memories.

Hey guys, my dad got to talk to his friend that owns the body shop who is painting our car. He has all of the body panels as I mentioned, and he would like to have the actual car over at his shop over the holidays. Right now I'm talking to my dad about wheels and whether or not we should get a marti report. Would 15x8s all around give a nice muscle car stance? Maybe some larger tires in the back... Want an aggresive look but nothing that stands far out from the wheel wells. What are your alls suggestions? We are going with magnum 500s and are not sure on which tire or size. Would love to see some pictures of your alls rides and what their wheel set up looks like. Now the marti report... Is it worth it? It seems to be a pretty standard car but has a few weird options I think. Long console and power disc brakes and power steering, but maybe those were standard. I know the console is not but there is other things such as no ac and the paint and vinyl top option. Gold glow with white vinyl top. I'm not sure there are more things that are not coming to mind. Is it a good idea to get one? Any rare options that may stand out? (I will post the dealership invoice) Here is the vin number maybe you all could tell me some things..

Vin: 2F01F217133

Here is the dealership invoice up close

Sorry if this rotated the photo not sure why it is doing so.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Marti Reports are always worth it, even if they repeat the invoice. Always helps to have dual documentation - and at $15 for basic reports, you can't go wrong.

Even $200 for the Elite Report is a bargain - you get to have all of this, and framed to boot:

Marti-Report-Elite.jpg

http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm?cartype=Yes

Bet you couldn't find anyone in town to matte all of that for $200, much less give you documents you won't find anywhere else.

-Kurt

Back