73 Forged Aluminum Wheel Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Anyone know if these wheels came from the factory with black rubber valve stems or some type of chrome valve stem. Looking for what would be more concourse correct

Thanks

2d9ra84.jpg

Hi Judge,

Thanks for the info...yes they have been chromed. I took them in to get polished and when I went to pick them up they had chromed them by mistake. Chroming wheels is expensive so they ended up costing me a $100 for all four that I would have paid to get them polished. Since I am restoring my car to original, I am kind of torn about using these or just a polished set?

Those chromed wheels look excellent! Be sure to paint the black pinstripe around the outer rim and the flat circular spot around the lugs for a factory appearance.

Hi Judge,

Thanks for the info...yes they have been chromed. I took them in to get polished and when I went to pick them up they had chromed them by mistake. Chroming wheels is expensive so they ended up costing me a $100 for all four that I would have paid to get them polished. Since I am restoring my car to original, I am kind of torn about using these or just a polished set?
Did you take them to a placin Torrance by chance? I took a set there a few years back, $100 to polish all four. They looked amazing when I got them back, but not chromed...

Yeah, right: no black paint around the lugs. I think I was thinking about some AMC rims I used to have.

I'm sure the black rubber valve stem is correct and a black stripe is also correct They look great and I'd use them but you might take a minor hit at a MCA show but then you might not. Beautiful wheels.

L learn today that it' is possible to chromed aluminium, I was thinking was not possible.

Beautifull aspect.

BTW, where could I find same center caps?

Merci.

Hi guys,

Anyone know if these wheels came from the factory with black rubber valve stems or some type of chrome valve stem. Looking for what would be more concourse correct

Thanks

2d9ra84.jpg
Another thing that some might not know about the alu. wheels. They used Tape A Weights from factory. They were on the inner part of the wheel and none on either bead. The stems were definitely black short ones. I kept the ones that came on my car originally but would never be able to find them, lol. Your spare was just a steel wheel I see some at shows with alu. spare also. The pic is an original with NOS Goodyear that rotted into the ground. The locking lugs did not come factory.

David

L learn today that it' is possible to chromed aluminium, I was thinking was not possible.

Beautifull aspect.

BTW, where could I find same center caps?

Merci.
Most of the vendors carry these...try Don at ohiomustang.com

Another thing that some might not know about the alu. wheels. They used Tape A Weights from factory. They were on the inner part of the wheel and none on either bead. The stems were definitely black short ones. I kept the ones that came on my car originally but would never be able to find them, lol. Your spare was just a steel wheel I see some at shows with alu. spare also. The pic is an original with NOS Goodyear that rotted into the ground. The locking lugs did not come factory.

David

Thanks for the info and pics...really nice to be able to see such an original car David. If you don't get it washed soon I am going to fly out there and do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the black pinstripe and black/rubber valve stem and cap as correct.

I recognize the two pictures of the wheels and Firestone wide-ovals as they are mine thanks for posting them... National Parts Depot has the original

1 1/4 inch long, Dill Brand, US made valve stems and correct caps.

65-73 concourse correct part no. 1705-1K set of 5 $9.95 includes valve stem caps or you can get caps only for $4.00 part no. 1720-1K

these are the ones pictured on my original wheels.:run_horse::run_horse:

Larry mustang68

I have the caps

46.95 each

OR a set of 4 for 184.95

Item #D3ZZ-1130-R

73 ALUMINUM WHEEL CENTER CAP

With red emblem, screws included.

Price: $46.95

Back