73 Mach 1 P/S Pulley Belt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Good Morning all,

I have a questions to classic mustangs experts. I have a 73 Mustang Mach 1 with 351 Cleveland 2V. My P/S belt came off and twisted so it needs to be changed. I removed alternator belt in order to get P/S belt out of the way. I know how to loosen the alternator bracket so I can loosen the belt tension for it but now to put the P/S belt back on how do I loosen the power steering pump. Which nut or bracket. I attached pictures.

Also what is the order of the belts on the crank shaft. This is how I will put it:

first groove ( closest to the block ) will have the P/S belt around it also around the water pump.

second groove will have the alternator belt.

third groove will have the AC belt ( currently not gonna use it )

When looking at all my pulleys from top. They are not 100% aligned. Do they have to be precise with each others or a little difference is fine.

Thanks a lot.

View attachment 24546

View attachment 24547

View attachment 24548

View attachment 24549

View attachment 24550

View attachment 24551

I don't think the last two pictures are of your engine? They look like a 429 engine PS setup, which is different than the 351C arrangement.

Your belt routing sounds correct, however the pulleys need to be in the same plane, or you will have issues like you describe (belt twisting, slipping, flying off etc.). There are a couple of ways to check pulley alignment, but checking is complicated by having all of the components in the way. Easiest way is with a level across the front and make sure that they are square.

As far as setting tension on the PS belt, I've circled the two bolts that you need to loosen- the top bolt is the pivot bolt, it goes through all the brackets (even the AC one) and into the cylinder head. The lower bolt just goes through the pump brackets and is the one that has the slot for setting tension:

351C PS Pump w Circles.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is correct but don't have the engine in front of me. I do have an original 351C 2V with AC and PS sitting in a corner of my shop that I think is unmodified if you want me to take some pictures for you...

Thank you Mjlan. I just took all these pictures thru my phone 30 mins ago so they all belong to my 351C engine. What makes you say its 429 setup. And I really appreciate your help. I will give it a shot later on today. Thanks a bunch.

lol I am sorry your right. I put those pics there by mistake. Great eye catch which makes you excellent adviser ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut up yardsticks to have small flat pieces to check alignment. While a belt will tolerate a little misalignment, it will be more prone to squeal, wear and getting thrown. Shims and washers can allow you to correct most alignment problems.

Belt tension when adjusted should allow you to turn the belt about 90 degrees at the center of the longest run between pulleys

Thank you Mjlan. I just took all these pictures thru my phone 30 mins ago so they all belong to my 351C engine. What makes you say its 429 setup. And I really appreciate your help. I will give it a shot later on today. Thanks a bunch.

lol I am sorry your right. I put those pics there by mistake. Great eye catch which makes you excellent adviser ;)
I tried to find a picture of mine but this is the best that I could find. Your pulley looks different that the one mine came with in 73. Not sure if Ford used different ones on different production lines.

IMG_1720.JPG

I was wondering the same thing as I also have the cast iron p/s pulley on my 73. My car is an H-code with air conditioning and a C-6.

Here is a pic from my 73...

Looks like furthest front of car belt is A/C then alternator then power steering.

107uvzl.jpg

Here is another pic of power steering adjustment bolts...

8xq5tw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My '73 351C-2V with a/c car had a cast iron power steering pump pulley.

It broke when r&r'ing it onto a reman pump, so I had to get a regular steel one.

My other '73, a 351-C Q code has the stamped steel pulley.

Back