Frank Cone special order car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
:huh:

A nice looking car and apparently ordered by a dealer for his personal use.

I know this stuff has been mentioned before but>>>

"This is a Special edition Frank Cone Ram air, 351 Cleveland engine, "GT" all special ordered car."

*Ford never designated any Mustangs as "GT" for the 1971-73 models.

"This convertible example represents 1 of only 3 built with this engine/transmission combination offering 330 horsepower, and 1 of only 1 Mustangs built in this wonderful color combination!!"

*Possibly close... If this car has a Vin for the motor as a Q for a 71 convertible with a C6 automatic, it could actually be one of 4 per Kevin Marti's book; "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967-1973)".

If the car is an M code with the C6 it would be one of 414; same reference.

Boss 351 motor reference is sketchy and would require a lot of documentation to prove plus correct parts. Doubtful...

Many claim to have Boss 351 motors in their cars but most are mistaken.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4788304652.html

Ray

Oh no... not again. :dodgy:

OK Guys - we've already had our fun with this particular car and the back story... but apparently, it's been relisted again.

Go check out the listing, and if someone's genuinely interested in it, fine. Otherwise, keep the comments light and stay courteous.

First one to start getting nit-picky, overly critical, or starts a fight, and the thread gets locked.

I see no harm in continuing positive discussion of this particular car. It is an awesomely unique car, and obviously worth a mint. But I share Eric's caution about getting caught up in any type of flame war. That just ain't gonna happen. :cool:

Oh no...Frank..... uh..... eeerrrr Cooo.... mustn't give in to temptation.....

While still high, at least the price has been coming down. The oldest ad I did fine was asking $65,000, but if I recall at one time he was asking around $80,000.

I also feel really bad for the 3rd Frank Cone edition as this was originally sold as 1 of 3 and now it's 1 0f 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, it would be a sin NOT to put these decals on the Gas Monkey car:

frank-cone.png

FYI: I'm willing to share the original artwork (as an .AI, .EPS or .SVG) to anyone who is serious about making repops on a vinyl cutter.

All hail the late, great Frank Cone - the man who gave us his name and icon to serve as our symbol for internet car flipper madness.

-Kurt

Someone needs to call the guy who keeps listing this car and read him the riot-act. My vote would be either:

Cudak888

Boss1ray

Kit Sullivan

Mister 4x4

If nothing else, send him a link to all the threads dedicated to that car from this forum. Who's with me??

Call John For info - 972-333-6300

Someone needs to call the guy who keeps listing this car and read him the riot-act. My vote would be either:

Cudak888

Boss1ray

Kit Sullivan

Mister 4x4

If nothing else, send him a link to all the threads dedicated to that car from this forum. Who's with me??
A small war has been ongoing on an obscure blog:

http://annualmobiles.blogspot.com/2013/06/frank-cone-ford.html?showComment=1420001736512#c3708226833547513207

-Kurt

P.S.: Might be good if we merge this with the 1971 Frank Cone GT thread.

Ray, I wouldn't put such a blind eye to this turn of events. Given time, the new owner may spread Frank Cone misinformation until a simple dealer sticker becomes a widely believed fact of uber-rarity.

Remember: Twisting the truth is all it took for two fellows to misrepresent a '71 as being a car from Diamonds are Forever, thus setting off a chain reaction of articles, book publications, and incorrect legend that has mired the true story of what went on behind the scenes, and the cars that really were screen-used. As if this wasn't enough, these incorrect claims of accuracy - now widely accepted as truth - caused the Ian Fleming Foundation to buy a car that has nothing to do with the film, and exhibit it at Beaulieu Automotive Museum as an original.

Now the general public is being fed the same story courtesy of Beaulieu - and it is very difficult for a few enthusiasts to prove the truth when museums (often erroneously held as pillars of accuracy) have the power to passively contradict researched, accurate truth with a single placard.

-Kurt

Hey Kurt,

I think you're overestimating the gullibility of the collector's market, and giving a little too much credit to the seller for being able to pull-off such a scam. That car is going nowhere, until the seller pulls his head out and finally settles for a price more reasonable.

Honestly, if someone ever gets a chance to buy it, it won't be for what the seller thinks he wants (because it's too obvious this is a scam)... and if he gets what he wants - who cares? One guy paying WAY too much for "nothing special" car because he wasn't smart enough to research is unfortunate (happens all the time)... but at least then we'll finally get to put all this behind us and quit obsessing over it.

We're not going to save the world for '71-'73 Mustangs by making sure one car scammer here and there gets blocked, after all. ;)

Back