73 Mustang Mach 1 Vinyl Top Rarity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello all,

I was told that my vinyl top is rare the way it was installed on roof from factory. I have the orig invoice showing 3/4 vinyl top ordered. But in my new restoration I got rid of it. I still have the trim that goes around the vinyl top.

I have never seen a mustang classic with this type of vinyl location. Can you guys confirm. Thanks

View attachment 24713

View attachment 24714

View attachment 24715

I think that would have been a dealer installed option if it was on your invoice

Order a Marti report to verify.

I have never seen a top like that

Don

Marti report dont show it. But my original invoice from the dealer in Meaterie, Louisiana shows it.

I was told its a dealer installed option.

Do you guys think it adds value to car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marti report dont show it. But my original invoice from the dealer in Meaterie, Louisiana shows it.

I was told its a dealer installed option.

Do you guys think it adds value to car?
in a word...No

Save the trim but would not re-install
+1

Dealer most likely had trim shop install. Common but usually not requested by buyer. Trim shops were adding a lot of stuff back then.

-padded vinyl tops and adding opera windows to cars not originally equipped. Sunroofs were also potential add-ons. Side rubber mouldings that ran the length of the cars were a quick addition to the sticker!!! They were supposed to reduce door dents...

Ray

Yup +2, if it is not on the marti report not factory " or hard too prove" and not worth reinstalling, plus the issues with rust.

Even if it was factory, only 2 reasons i could see anyone wanting to put it back on, is if you was wanting to make the car 100% factory original for car shows. or you happen to be one of the rare few who enjoy vinyl tops.

It will only add value to your car if you are restoring to an "as delivered" condition from the original selling dealer...as long as you the original dealership paperwork to back it up.

And...whatever value it does add will be very subjective to a prospective purchaser.

I would venture to say that most people who collect, covet and care about these cars these days do not care for a vinyl roof on a "sportroof", whether dealer or factory-installed.

Your buyers would be a limited market if you chose to sell it.

If you are keeping it for yourself and if you like it...then put it on! It doesn't look terrible and is quite unique.

If you don't like it...which I assume you don't; leave it off.

Sell the trim on Ebay for a few bucks and let someone else who likes it have at it!

Here is a Ford pic of what they look like. On some cars/color combos I think they look nice.

2e6h62u.jpg

That's a very interesting vinyl top. I kinda like it. It's unique I'm sure it was installed by the dealer or out scorced to a shop that does vinyl tops. I wouldn't change it. It's very 70s.

Here is a Ford pic of what they look like. On some cars/color combos I think they look nice.

2e6h62u.jpg
Yeah thats what mine looks like. I love it it's so 70s.

if it was factory installed it might fall under the title of factory freak. I'm not being disrespectful there were some one off cars built with strange options like Bob Perkins Boss 351 with the Mach1 Hood paint. I remember an article in Mustang Monthly a few years ago showing factory freaks. Maybe your car is one of them.

yes i dont like it lol thats why i got rid of it in restoration lol
In YOUR case I think it was the right decision! Awesome looking car btw. - like mine should be from the outside - but coming soon... ;)

Tim

2e6h62u.jpg
That's exactly how mine came out the factory! I think the former owner saw that brochure in 1973 and wanted exactly THAT car on the cover. I am in the act of doing it again that way at the moment - just about the vinyl roof I am doubtful... But the longer I look at photos of vinyl roof sportsroofs I like it better and better...

The only problem if to reinstall would be the original trim - it was lost over the last decades... :s

Tim

Personally, I have always felt a vinyl roof covering, which is an homage to the classic luxury coaches of days gone by is horribly out of place on a GT or street-performance styled car. The two styles are incongruous to me and clash.

But thats just me...not an important opinion, for sure...

Personally, I have always felt a vinyl roof covering, which is an homage to the classic luxury coaches of days gone by is horribly out of place on a GT or street-performance styled car. The two styles are incongruous to me and clash.
A good point, Kit!

One more important view for me is that I have the feel that with the vinyl the roof looks shorter and the beautiful roof-line losts a little bit of it's elegance and endless length...

Theres a junk yard not too for from me with about 4 vinyl top 71-73 mustangs in it. Must have been a popular option around this part of SC. I would've ditched it too. I think they only look ok on white cars.

Yeah, it does kinda clash but remember all the cool real muscle cars that had vinyl tops: Cudas, Challengers, Chargers. They all looked pretty cool with them.

Back