Suspension suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
When I first purchased my 429 I was planning on replacing the suspension with an OEM style kit from Mustangs Plus. Now that I've replaced the carb, MSD ignition, tuned her up, went with a new Tremec 5 speed and 4.11 rear end this car has crazy amounts of power. I now find myself wanting the car to handle much better than when it was new. It is going be be street driven only but I will drive it a lot. I don't expect it to handle like the 12 GT500 I sold to buy it but I do enjoy carving up some twisty back roads.

Was thinking about the coil over suspension from the vendor hear and some subframe connectors. What can I do for the rear? Other ideas?

Is it Total Control Products you are talking about? If so, the shocks that comes with the coil over kit is Varishocks, if it was me I would install matching shocks for the rear and some stiffer leafsprings. Sway bars is also a great improvement and subframe connectors like you said.

I can share some of the things I want to do with mine.

Global West plus 3 upper control arms

Global West lower control arms

Global West Cat 5 2" lowering leafsprings

Global West lowering front springs

Global West adjustable strut rods

Koni yellow shocks or Viking double adjustable shocks.

Subframe connectors

Control arms and leafsprings are with bearings so it wont bind like the rubber bushings would. I'm only going with this all most stock location suspension because it's not legal to install a coilover system here in Denmark, but I think there will be a big difference with the Global West setup vs stock.. I've only heard good about them.. :)

You could also use those kits from Opentrackerracingproducts.com and build your control arms with bearings instead of rubber bushings and combinate it with some Bilstein shocks and rear leafs and front springs from Eaton springs. :)

You could also give Shaun from Street and Track a call, he have a coilover system too, and it really looks to be a awesome kit.

There are a lots of great upgrades out there! But it's all about how much you want to spent on it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first purchased my 429 I was planning on replacing the suspension with an OEM style kit from Mustangs Plus. Now that I've replaced the carb, MSD ignition, tuned her up, went with a new Tremec 5 speed and 4.11 rear end this car has crazy amounts of power. I now find myself wanting the car to handle much better than when it was new. It is going be be street driven only but I will drive it a lot. I don't expect it to handle like the 12 GT500 I sold to buy it but I do enjoy carving up some twisty back roads.

Was thinking about the coil over suspension from the vendor hear and some subframe connectors. What can I do for the rear? Other ideas?
Heres the problem..Your never going to get the car to handle & carve as long as the 429 is in the front..You can throw all the parts & money you want into the suspension & it will handle better but it never will carve twisty back roads. The 429 just takes a car that already is a bit nose heavy & makes it even worse. The 429 was made for one thing, going fast in a straight line..Not handling..I can tell you from first hand experience my 429 car didn't handle for jack even with all new 429 specific suspension stuff..The nose is always wanting to push continue to go straight due to the major imbalance of the weight bias front to back..You can see my build here lost the 429 like a hot potato & built a car that truly handles carves like a NEW modern car.. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-green-72-fastback-former-429-460 The point is save your money, if your keeping the 429 don't expect much in the handling dept no matter what you do..unless you lose the 429 your just not going to carve up twisty back roads with out getting a better weight bias front to back (lots less weight in the nose)

Back