71-72 Mustang on TopGear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I don't know if any has posted this already but there is a 71-72 Mustang, looks to be a Mach 1, on a TopGear special trailer. You'll see it.

[video=youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to air on Dec 27th on BBC 2 if you get that, otherwise who knows when it will air on BBC America.

I wonder why they are running a Peugeot badge on the stang ???

IT5yIAb.jpg

Spoiler Alert - Don't read this if you want to see the program.

They drive a Mach I, Lotus Esprit and Porsche 928 S4 through Argentina. The top gear team start to modify their cars and the Mustang starts to get ruined. Some locals take exception to the number plates on the Porsche and end up stoning The cars. The cars are wrecked and abandoned in Argentina.

Spoiler Alert - Don't read this if you want to see the program.

They drive a Mach I, Lotus Esprit and Porsche 928 S4 through Argentina. The top gear team start to modify their cars and the Mustang starts to get ruined. Some locals take exception to the number plates on the Porsche and end up stoning The cars. The cars are wrecked and abandoned in Argentina.
Yikes!!!

Greg.:)

Top Gear is like the mafia - they'll have enough connections to get the cars out of the country. Not that the anyone on the TG production staff really cares; the cars are essentially expendable for the efforts of the production.

Heck, even if they did get the cars back, what's going to happen? Maybe one will be stuffed on a plinth in the studio, or shown at a TG show for a few weeks - after which it will be relegated to rotting away in the Top Gear dead lot at the Dunsfold Aerodrome.

Let the cars rot away in Argentina - where there's a better chance some official with a hankering for a '71-73 Mustang will pull a few strings to make it his or her own little war prize.

Imagine being the guy who sold this thinking it was going to a good home.

2i7ojo1.jpg
From some early discussions, which I can't seem to find on Google now, TG painted it up. Far as I know, it was in primer when offered for sale stateside. The fellow who sold it to them (who found out later - car was sold with a non-disclosure agreement) did contact them later in protest.

It looks good here, but there's a possibility it might be a painted rustbucket. If so, I'll admit that I wouldn't mind doing what Hammond is doing in this photo with a rusted-out '71-73 - with exception to the snow flying up into the car through the floorboards. Looks like fun.

It also proves that Mad Max would have been better with a '71 Mustang! (ducks for cover as I get pelted with tires from our Aussie buddies).

-Kurt

Ugh. Looks better than I thought.

Quite a few modders should take a hint from this car: If you're going to put an intake through the hood, use the standard hood. This combo looks great, where a NACA hood would look ridiculous.

-Kurt

Hello:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/01/top-gear-recover-cars-controversial-argentina-episode-report-video/

Near as I can figure it, we need two things:

1. Someone chummy with a few Argentinean officials

2. Someone with enough money to bribe everyone necessary in step #1.

Mustang hostile takeover. That ought to get the '71-73s some publicity.

-Kurt

Who really cares? There are still many, many 71-73s available for those that want to own one. It's not like they trashed an authentic "Tucker" or a Hemi 'Cuda convertible. Now THAT would be a shame.

Don't get mad at the show or the hosts...they never pretended to be car experts or said they loved the cars. Its all about comedy, entertainment and ratings...which of course leads to profits.

After all its just a car, and not a particularly rare one at that.

Last edited:
4 speeds are cdrtainly cool...but the original transmissions, whether an automatic or a manual are definitely the most outdated and "well past thier prime" examples of innefficient "vintage" technology.

Horrible fuel mileage, high RPM when just cruising, and anchor-heavy components all conspire to make our cars pale in performance to modern cars.

Suspension and handling, fuel delivery and performance/ economy, electronics...all of these can easily be modified to perform at or near today's best examples.

But a trans swap to a modern OD automatic or a nice lightweight TKO 5-speed will easily outperform any OEM set up.

Back