Mach 1 seat stripe question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 m code
I apologize if this has been covered before but I'm trying to figure out what color stripes were available on mach 1 interior seats, particularly what color stripes were available on white Mach 1 interior. My original seats were white with black stripes but it looks like the only place that carries them is national parts Depot and they claim on their website that they are not original. My car is living proof that they are, what gives? All the other parts suppliers only offer white with gray stripes or white with white stripes. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

They never came white with black stripes. White with grey only.

The stripes only ever came in one of five colors: gray, vermillion( red), blue, brown or green. And the stripes ALWAYS matched to color of the "Mach 1" sewed-in carpet runners.

Last edited:
According to Marti's book, "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967-1973)", the following color trims were offered in White Fastbacks Mustangs (not broken down as to how many were Mach 1s):

Black, Blue, Vermillion, Saddle, White, and Green

Black, Blue, Vermillion, Saddle, Green, and White

Black, Saddle, Avocado (3 Cars), and White

Hope this helps.

BT

I remember that the inserts in the carpet were black but I threw it out and didn't get pics, go figure. But I still have the upholstery so I'll take some pics when I get home from work. My car is an original code 5W built in metuchen with factory ordered side stripes. Is it possible that the seat stripes went with the body stripe?

The carpet runners were dark grey, not black
Kit is correct the runners were grey. Though not a good picture you can see the seats had grey stripes and Dk grey carpet inserts. I had to order the black ones when I got the replacement carpets as they were not an option at the time like they are now with the repros. It just more what I was looking for.

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

I am not sure if I remember ever seeing a mach 1 style sports interior in white.

So here are a few pics of the one seat that I still have upholstered. I am under the impression that these are dark gray stripes? Does anyone make these seats with the dark grey stripes or should I just go with black stripes?

Here's another one

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are much darker than original grey stripes. And it is difficult to tell from the photos, but that does not appear to be authentic OEM-style comfortweave. It looks like the very common stamped vinyl simulated comfortweave most reproductions have been using for over 25 years now.

Also, the original comfortweave material was the absolute least durable material used of all the different styles of vinyl on 71-73 'stangs, and it was nearly always the first thing to start falling apart. Those seats look very well "used" and I don't think original comfortweave could still be in that good of a condition. Plus the seams are not perfectly straight on the pleats, whereas the OEM seats were typically much more accurate in this respect.

I am fairly sure those are reproduction covers.

Last edited:
Here is my original ones that came with the car when I got it in 73. This is want I got now in keeping with the black/white theme that I wanted.

Edit:

Mine were not the original comfortweave material that many of the cars came with, it was like simulated comfortweave. There was a long discussion about this a while back and Ford probably ran out of that material towards the end of the 73 production and substituted it. I know what I had was in fact original as I bought the car new.

" I am under the impression that these are dark gray stripes? Does anyone make these seats with the dark grey stripes or should I just go with black stripes?"

The grey that you get now is similar to what's pictured here. If your going with concourse resto you should probably go with the grey, I wasn't concerned so I went with the black. You should do what makes you happy as you will be the one driving it.

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Here is a pic of my 73 oem seats...this is what they should look like.

If you want the oem comfortweave in the center you have to buy it separately and have it sewn into the repro seat covers which is what I did. The repro seat covers have fake comfortweave in the center that is all white and not as original.

2poabf5.jpg

334izqt.jpg

So here are a few pics of the one seat that I still have upholstered. I am under the impression that these are dark gray stripes? Does anyone make these seats with the dark grey stripes or should I just go with black stripes?

Here's another one
Those seats are identical to what my red 73 Mach came with. I purchased it from my uncle in 1984, the interior was all original. The stripes on mine were closer to black, or dark grey than the lighter grey. The centers were the same as yours in the picture. I reupohlstered them to the vermillion red around 1994. I wish now I would have kept them white. I can't find any pictures of the interior when it was white. Back then when I changed something, I just did it. I didnt take pictures or document anything.

Back