Q code caband intake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullrescue

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q code sportsroof 89 5liter ,balanced,blueprinted.Global West suspension,Tremec 5speed
i have a late 71 build Q code and when i got it it came with a Holly 3310 and a aluminum ford intake on the car,and three intakes and another carb in the trunk. what should my stock pieces be? spred bore or square?got a couple of each.any info from u guys will be greatly appreciated

Please confirm the following before making a decision. I believe the intake would have been "spread bore" to accept an Autolite 4300D carb. I'm not sure if the intake casting number would have been a D1 or D2 number. That late in the year D2 coded parts could well have been installed (i've found a few D3 coded pieces were used on my 03/72 built Mach 1. Hopefully someone will confirm or correct what I've said.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Edit: I did a little research. i confirmed "spread bore" intake and matching 4300D carb. The over the counter intake mentioned below has a casting number of D1ZX-9424-DA. They are very pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford did make "service parts" that used a square flange aluminum intake and a 750 Holley Vacuum carb. These were offered as replacement for the Boss 351 and 351 HO. This is the combination we are using on the stock eliminator car. My understanding is these service parts are fairly rare.

thank you guys for the info,when i bought the car the owner told me the drive train had some "special ford pieces"but i chalked that up to salesman ship.it was a fast car when i put it up,almost keep up with my built 89LX

C1ZX 9425 DA on the aluminum intake,D1ZE 9425 BB on the spread bore and D0AE 9425 L on the square bore and for some reason a EDELBROCK 2750 2V intake new in the box.any help on the ford # would be great

The -DA is a keeper to use or sell/trade. It was an over the counter Ford part and served as the basis for the later "Shelby" intake and the Blue Thunder intake. The -BB is very likely the original intake. The D0AE is from 70 or early (prior to May 71) 71 intake.

Chuck

thanks to both of you for the info,i will definitely keep it,seemed like a great combo,just wondering what other parts are in motor now.the amount of info i gained the last few weeks is overwhelming,wish i had found this site earlier!

Back