Hello from the UK!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Mustang84

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof with a tuned 351C.
Hi all,

I just thought I'd say hello and tell you all about a project I'm working on. I've owned my Mustang quite a long time now (7 years) and I'm in the process of restoring her and painting her like the car used in the 1974 film, gone in 60 seconds, which I understand much of you are fans of.

If you guys (and girls??) are interested I can upload some progress pictures of my build. I'm quite a long way through the process already with the car hopefully going into primer in a couple weeks.

This is where I need your help, I'm in two minds as to what shade of yellow to paint her. From my limited research I am able to do, I understand that the cars were painted school bus yellow?? But this isn't a standard Ford colour offered for the Mustang and I'm not sure I 'should' paint her a non standard Ford colour. So do I paint her school bus yellow or Medium Bright Yellow?? What's your thoughts??

Thanks,

Martin

Welcome from OZ.

I wouldn't be concerned about keeping it an original Ford colour - if you're going for a Gin60S theme (and you certainly should! dancebanana ) then you should definitely pick the colour that best reflects your goal.

I've had a few people say to me that "they love my Eleanor", which I get a real kick out of even though with it's added adornments it doesn't look much like Eleanor at all, mainly because it's nice to know there are people out there that recognise that the real Eleanor is not the plastic-fantastic monstrosity from the remake.

Are you going to put the 73 Mach 1 grille in as well, and the dog dish wheel covers?

Also, for when you are cruising to car shows I'd highly recommend a complimenting "Halicki wig, mustache, driving gloves and suit set" :cool:

vaZinjD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warm welcome and so many Mustang owners from all over the world! Here's some pics of my car before work began,

D2.jpg

A2Mustang.jpg

C1.jpg

Looks good in the pictures but she needed a lot of welding! Will post more pics of the restoration work soon.

Welcome from Phoenix. I don't have much knowledge about the colors used. I say paint it whatever yellow (or color) you want! It sure looks like a beautiful car already.

From a fellow 'Commonwealther', receive a warm welcome to this growing and diverse forum; great having members from all points on the globe. Every nation deserves a herd of Mustangs.

Medium Bright Yellow is a great 72 color; looks great on the 71-73 model Mustangs; but so does Grabber Yellow, especially when enhanced by black stripes. There used to be a forum dedicated exclusively to the "grabber" colored Mustangs, vintage and late models. You might get an idea from that forum as how how it might look on your own Mustang.

All the best in choosing the color you want!

Where in Norfolk are you from? Anywhere near Hethel, Norwich?
I live in Norwich which is only a few miles from Hethel. Thats a lovely looking Muzzy by the way :).

Today I have been restoring the rear quater window parts, gong to up load my photos later if people want to see.

Martin

Welcome from Oklahoma.

I like the look as it is! Did you get a Marti report for it?

Ray
Thank you, no I haven't got a Marti report for it alothough one day I will get one done. I do know that it is nothing special, I think it was a 6cylinder originally and converted to a 302 at some point in its life. A few years ago I had 351C built for me as that (I think) was in the original Gone60S car and mine was tuned to 450BHP and 430ftlbs of torque.

Below is a pic of my engine:

008_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Mississippi. School Bus yellow would work. Ford told Bud Moore Engineering who was building Fords Boss 302 Trans Am cars that they wanted a color that would "Stand Out" on the track. So instead of Grabber Yellow or orange, School Bus Yellow was used. The color actually looked good on those cars and Eleanor!

Back