Fun with Lasers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach-1
Bright Blue Metallic, and Silver
351 C, Standard Transmission, Deluxe Interior with fold down rear seat
I made a little Mach-1 sign with our laser cutter at work.

Just some blue plexiglass, and some ADA sign applique for the raised letters.

mach-1logo_zpsab8aa76d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a little Mach-1 sign with out laser cutter at work.

mach-1logo_zps69b16630.jpg
That looks great. I am thinking since I live in Houston too you might be interested in making me one as wel How much for one that says:1971 429CJ Mach 1

Probably on gray plexiglass to match my light pewter paint.

I'll have to look at the plastic we have in our shop, I'll burn one for you free, it was just material from our scrap bin that would have gotten trashed.

I'll fiddle around with something on Monday when I go in to work.

Great looking piece but from the title I expected to see a dog chasing a red dot. That's fun with Lasers!
Don't forget the cats and red dot lasers!

That's beautiful.

I wonder if that laser cutter can be of use in making repop parts...

-Kurt
Depends on the design, there are 3D printers now that can turn a good CAD drawing into into a very nice object.

I made a little Mach-1 sign with our laser cutter at work.

mach-1logo_zps69b16630.jpg
Looks very nice! Did you do the applique on the laser or do you have a router/engraver?I've thought about doing something similar with backpainting acrylic using paint matches to the original Ford colors and then replicating the original MACh1/BOSS/etc. decals with the appropriate color applique. So many things you can do with sign shop equipment other than make signs!

I used a 60 watt laser to cut both.

We have a big router, and a couple of engraver machines as well.

I have a lot of fabrication experience going back to model maker, and mock up days, though now I like drawing in 3d, and letting the CNC machines do the work.

I had fun with lasers in the past few weeks, too... repairing 4 retinal horseshoe tears in my eyes.

It kinda "welds" them so they won't progress further.

Not a party by any means.

I'd much rather be playing with your kind of laser! :)

Lasers sure have come a long way; fabricating and healing as well as entertainment (can hardly find a concert where they don't use them). Something I was wondering... has anybody ever seen one of our Mustangs with the Torino laser stripe? Black with the yellow to red would be sharp!

I used a 60 watt laser to cut both.

We have a big router, and a couple of engraver machines as well.

I have a lot of fabrication experience going back to model maker, and mock up days, though now I like drawing in 3d, and letting the CNC machines do the work.
We don't have a laser...yet. Picked up a Roland EGX engraver to do ADA (although it's good for making router patterns in 1/4" pvc)and just upgraded our plotter (had an ancient Graphtec). Hoping for a laser this year. I've got a toy prototyping and exhibit/tradeshow fabrication background, but no real computer skill (sort of use Turbocad 2d/3d), mainly hand fab. Tools are just tools, but with a good imagination, the more the better.

I have a small hand held laser pointer I use for

astronomy purposes to point at things. I measured

the output at 430 mW :cool:

mike
A little large for a laser pointer, I think, but good for lighting matches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back