For those with a lazy fifty grand!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Seems like the real deal at first glance to me. What are you thinking is not right with it?

Seems like the real deal at first glance to me. What are you thinking is not right with it?
Hi Kit,

What do you think of the hood black out? Does the shape of it, and the fact that the black contour lines are not very straight mean anything in terms of being original? Also, the fit and alignment of the hood seems not original, or was this a typical example for being original in it's day?

Greg.:)

It might sell for 25K...to someone who really wants it. The crazed buying frenzy for anything resembling a muscle car reached its peak 10-15 years ago. That was the time to sell. Today, it is usually only the rarest or most-desirable models that get the big bucks.

This is a beautiful car, no doubt.

But it is not particularly rare or extra-desirable. Kind of a run-of-the- mill model actually. 73 just didn't offer any of the options that bring the money.

Down on compression and power, no ram-air for the CJ motor, nothing bigger than a 3.50 gear, only 14" wheels available...

71 had the BOSS, 72 had the HO...both very-nicely equipped performance packages. 73? Nothing even close...

I thought the twist hood pins were only available if it had the ram air option?

I was thinking the same thing. It is a nice car though but every seal and piece of rubber on the car has to be brittle and dried up by now, especially since it hasn't been driven.

It might sell for 25K...to someone who really wants it. The crazed buying frenzy for anything resembling a muscle car reached its peak 10-15 years ago. That was the time to sell. Today, it is usually only the rarest or most-desirable models that get the big bucks.

But it is not particularly rare or extra-desirable. Kind of a run-of-the- mill model actually. 73 just didn't offer any of the options that bring the money.

Down on compression and power, no ram-air for the CJ motor, nothing bigger than a 3.50 gear, only 14" wheels available...

71 had the BOSS, 72 had the HO...both very-nicely equipped performance packages. 73? Nothing even close...
Yep if it was a 71 Boss, it wouldn't last a day at 50K.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 73 they had an option called Tutone Hood Paint that also included the hood pins for $18.
+1 My 73 vert came with that option. 34.00 dollars on the sticker for a vert. Only 18.00 for a Mach I wonder what the bean counters where thinking then on the price difference.

John J

This car is a virtual twin of my '73 351 4V.

The twist hood pins were in fact available on the 4V (non ram air optioned) versions.

BTW, I am the original owner of my car:).

BT

Look at some of the cars in the background on these pictures. Appears to be a pretty die hard ford collector. Looks to be a Boss parked in front of it based upon the tail panel paint. My estimate is that it looks pretty honest to be a survivor. Even the Ziebart on the fender aprons.

Austin, the hood blackout does look to be correct. Remember the guys putting these cars together were doing 100's of them a day. It was just another car on the line. Paint is often thin and gaps were often massive. Today's production standards are light years ahead of where we were in the 70's.

Here is a picture of a survivor 73 vert with only 180 miles on it. The core support did not receive all of the black paint on the drivers side prior to assembly.

090212 307.JPG

I know it is 'just' a 73. But it is the 4v. The most compelling factor for a large $$$ is the low low miles. If it is all true it is a time capsule.

Could you imagine owning that car and not driving it? I am not talking about buying it now. I mean you bought it new and just let it sit around for the most part.

Someone missed out on a lot of smiles.

Kit,

Interesting feedback there, however i have noticed that asking prices for American classics here in Oz and America seem to be creeping up over the last one or two years. The craze as you say, may be over, but there seems to be a steady growing strong popularity around the world for American classics of all types. Yes,the so called rarest and most desirable cars still are commanding crazy outrageous asking prices, beyond the reach of the average Joe.:-/

Example ............... I've been keeping my eye on this company over the last two or so years and their asking prices are definately slowly rising across the board so to speak.

http://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/

Greg.:)

The only thing that really gets me is the TuTone on the hood - it looks a LOT like the mess my painter made of the stencil I'd given him (front piece put on off-center, and side pieces not straight or aligned correctly).

Otherwise, I have no issues with the car... except the asking price. I don't care how few miles are on it - that's a VERY optimistic number... like almost twice as optimistic as he should be, IMHO.

'73 was the only year that you could tick an option box for a tu-tone hood with twist locks without ordering Ram Air.

Probably an option for those who wished to install Ram Air on their new Q-code after purchase - remember, thanks to the snafu with the government testing, you could not get Ram Air on a Q-code.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, exactly:

The 73-only "tutone hoid" option was an apparent attempt by Ford to offer a factory-painted authentic ram-air "appearance pkg" without to mechanical bits...wbich were not legal to sell on 4-V equipped engines.

However, this package in combo with a dealer or customer installed functional ram air system gave you an otherwise complete and authentic ram air setup on your 73 351 4-V.

The tutone hood on a convertible cost more than on a Mach 1 because the ram-sir hood itself was already figured into the price of the mach 1. The convertible was priced with a flat hood, so the pkg price reflected the additional upgrade to the scooped hood.

Back