Torque Converter Selection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
A question on the forum, the other day, about how to determine the stall speed of a torque converter prompted me to build the attached spreadsheet that you can have some fun with. The spreadsheet is based on some rule-of-thumb values and is not a definitive selection guide, but will give you some ideas of some of the things that need to be considered when selecting a torque converter.  For most street machines the torque converter ranges should work fairly well. Because this is intended for street machines I capped the torque converter stall RPMs at 4,000.

The general assumptions are shown in the spreadsheet.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

EDIT: Clarification on overdrive entry and added tire diameter calculator 12/1/2018

Torque Converter Selection V2.xlsx

Torque Converter Selection V2.xls

Attachments

• Torque Converter Selection V2.xlsx
    21.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Torque Converter Selection V2.xls
    40 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
A question on the forum, the other day, about how to determine the stall speed of a torque converter prompted me to build the attached spreadsheet that you can have some fun with. The spreadsheet is based on some rule-of-thumb values and is not a definitive selection guide, but will give you some ideas of some of the things that need to be considered when selecting a torque converter.  For most street machines the torque converter ranges should work fairly well. Because this is intended for street machines I capped the torque converter stall RPMs at 4,000.

The general assumptions are shown in the spreadsheet.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

EDIT: Clarification on overdrive entry and added tire diameter calculator 12/1/2018
Don, 

Thank you for creating this easy to use tool.  I'm in the middle of an engine (351C) and transmission (FMX) rebuild and looking to change my rear gears too.  This helps take some of the guesswork out of it all. 

:thankyouyellow:

Thanks again!

Scott

Back