Trying to decide where to mount non-factory gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I want to mount some non-factory gauges. I don't want to give up the factory center console ones.

But I am uncomfortable with the accuracy of he stock gauges and want to install a set of quality oil pressure and water temp gauges.

My car came with AC but I yanked it out a while ago so I could put the middle or driver side registers. I also have the long factory console and could use where the clock goes. I would prefer to keep it discrete. I was looking at 'below the dash' but am not sure that is a great place. Or maybe even inside the console, I could flip up the lid and take a look?

What are all your thoughts? Pics are even better!

I don't believe below the dash would be very visible, and likely to get in the way of your knees. Maybe the "A" pillar, with either generic pods or custom built one's.

UGG tough one!

I put mechanical gauges in center console as I dont trust analog originals but understand ppl wanting to stay original.

Hanging under dash is childish and there is no room. The A piller pod idea is good also inside floor console glove box

or under hood for backup reading to keep the old gauges honest.

Hi Will-e,

I was in the same position you were in, I wanted an oil gauge that I could trust after rebuilding my engine but I didn't want to hack my console or my factory gauges.

I got an AutoMeter mechanical oil pressure gauge and placed it under dash, there were already holes so no dash modification.

6q8z2c.jpg

It is easy to see, and I have no problem with leg clearance.

28jh6ys.jpg

Chris

does auto-meter make gauges the same size as the center dash ones?

then you can hide your originals, and make a bracket to allow the gauges to fit the bezel.

just a thought.

I took my factory out and put in some that were slightly bigger. They look great and work perfect. I I can remember, I'll take a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does auto-meter make gauges the same size as the center dash ones?

then you can hide your originals, and make a bracket to allow the gauges to fit the bezel.

just a thought.
My brother had a 73 Mach I with center gauges and the the way I recall it would need to file away some of the bezel to allow the AutoMeter gauges to fit. His center gauges were working and after investing money wasn't interested in getting rid of them. If I had an extra bezel then I would consider it -- wouldn't want to burn any bridges if I wanted the stock gauges.

Hey Guys,

if you read my post on putting Auto meter gauges in to replace the original gauges, it tells you exactly what you need to do to carry out the conversion.

You will also find that it is very hard to find small gauges to fit the original Mustang mounting pod. Modification will be needed.Yes, it is a very good idea to try and find a genuine Ford pod on Ebay, and use it for your back up, because you will need to hack into the pod to make the new gauges fit.

There have been a couple of forum members who have gone to the trouble of posting what they have done to install new gauges into the original factory center gauge pods as well. Try searching for their posts in the above search engine. Their approach and what they did, are very good alternatives to what i have done as well.

Reference to my post ........................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-seeki...uage-setup

Greg.:)

Hey Guys,

if you read my post on putting Auto meter gauges in to replace the original gauges, it tells you exactly what you need to do to carry out the conversion.

You will also find that it is very hard to find small gauges to fit the original Mustang mounting pod. Modification will be needed.Yes, it is a very good idea to try and find a genuine Ford pod on Ebay, and use it for your back up, because you will need to hack into the pod to make the new gauges fit.

There have been a couple of forum members who have gone to the trouble of posting what they have done to install new gauges into the original factory center gauge pods as well. Try searching for their posts in the above search engine. Their approach and what they did, are very good alternatives to what i have done as well.

I went the A pillar pod for my boys car. Just got it done. Generic pod trimming, an considerable time with fiberglass

Hey Guys,

I went the A pillar pod for my boys car. Just got it done. Generic pod trimming, an considerable time with fiberglass

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I installed oil/water temp gauges where the clock went I found small elect/ type at OReillys auto parts they work great and easy to in stall Good Luck

Back