How much would you pay?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoColtrane

Reaction score
My Car
How much would you pay for this stang?

Engine/Trans - tired 302 with C4. It runs. A/C parts/brackets missing. Probably needs overhaul or replacement.

Rust - Typical rust issues but overall fair condition. Trunk is rusted out. Lower rear quarter panels rusted out.

Paint - chipping/peeling.

Panels - Alignment issues with door, fenders, and hood.

Interior - Smells like something died. Everything needs replacement.

Electrical - Biggest unknown. Lights worked but blinkers didn't. Not sure about gauges.

[attachment=28805]

A lot depends on what your plans are and how much you have to spend fixing it up. Also, depends on your personal skill set.

For example, I stay away from rust since I have no body work or welding skills. But a tired drive train is something I could pull and fix.

I would go maybe 1000 given your description. You will have another $15K into it before you know it.

Your diagnosis of the engine and interior may be a bit over the top (that tired 302 may be a badly tuned 302 full of carbon), but the trunk and rear quarters throw it squarely into the junk-project-car category.

If the trunk is rotted, chances are the floorpans are too. Did you have a look at them?

$1,500 maximum, if that. I'll bet the farm that the seller is looking for a lot more (aren't they all?).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
The door alignment problem is likely body sag due to floor, rocker panel and torque box rust.
I wouldn't go that far until seeing those gaps in a picture - the roof inner frame does a pretty good job of keeping things stiff.

I've only witnessed this on convertible '71-73s, haven't seen it on any remotely intact Sportsroof yet (though I'm sure there are some out there).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have to ask, you probably already know your answer. But I don't see anything that would scare me off. Door gap issues on a hardtop or fastback are usually caused by worn hinges. I would dump a gallon of water in the cowl and check the inside for leakage. It should come out the fender area. Checking the trunk is an excellent idea. Check the door bottoms for rust out. Keep in mind these cars are forty years old. Good cars are few.

Thanks for the responses. Didn't get to check the cowl area. Looked at the floor from underneath and didn't see any holes but didn't get to pull the carpet.

Back