weekend full of paint and clear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
During my restoration my 73 vert has been chipped and scratched from bouncing from shop to shop & no one wants to take responsibility. So this weekend my restoration guy is shooting a valspar base with high solid matrix clear. It's looking good so far hopefully it will turn out clean. decided to have him spray the stripes.

20141224_114940.jpeg

20141224_145237.jpeg

20141224_164652.jpeg

20141226_160123.jpeg

Hi Frank,

Hope it turns out well for you. Tell me, why did you decide to paint the side stripes on instead of buying the decals and putting them on later? Just curious.

Greg.:)
I always look at people that restore classic cars as artist and I would hate to not give them a certain amount of artistic freedom. He felt it would look cleaner if we painted the stripes then cleared it really good.

He also decided not to strip the side stripes past the rear wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Frank,

Hope it turns out well for you. Tell me, why did you decide to paint the side stripes on instead of buying the decals and putting them on later? Just curious.

I always look at people that restore classic cars as artist and I would hate to not give them a certain amount of artistic freedom. He felt it would look cleaner if we painted the stripes then cleared it really good.

He also decided not to strip the side stripes past the rear wheel.
Fair enough Frank.:)

During my restoration my 73 vert has been chipped and scratched from bouncing from shop to shop & no one wants to take responsibility. So this weekend my restoration guy is shooting a valspar base with high solid matrix clear. It's looking good so far hopefully it will turn out clean. decided to have him spray the stripes.
This looks great

I am going to do the same thing (some day soon I hope), painting the stripes on the sides and the hood

I think it will look great with the clear

Also think it will last forever

Show some pics when it's top coated

Looking forward to pics of the finished paint...I also prefer painted stripes rather than decals, mostly because of the smooth, no line finish.
I think a lot of people are so stuck on the "stock/original" look. Even if a car can be better then stock.

I like the stripes painted on under the clear. It makes waxing and buffing so much easier and no white wax goop build up on the edge of the decal. If I end up with any stripes, they will be painted!

Back