Vacuum Pump for Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootdog

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1967 C10 Step side
1979 Z28
2002 Silverado LT
All,

A little back ground here. When I acquired this car a few years ago, it was in bad shape. Floor boards rotted through, not running at all, what you hear about everyday on here. It was a project that was never finished. Upon looking it over, it had a rebuilt engine in it but the tranny needed some work. All the seals were dried up from sitting for the last eighteen to nineteen years. It shifted real hard on the FMX automatic at high revs. If you let up on the gas while going down the road it would shift easier. Well I got the trans rebuilt and it still shifted hard and of course the brakes were a pain in the rear also. Hard to stop. Well I had the trans shop due a vacuum test and of course it was real low. I believe around 11-12 scfm. I was told the cam was too large. I had never open up the engine to see it that were the culprit. Well, I bought a vacuum canister which helped the brakes somewhat and the shifting between the gears. But of course it shifted hard and at higher rpms. I ran it like that for years. I don't drive it a lot.

Anyway, I finally splurged and put in an electric vacuum pump from Stainless Steel Brakes last weekend. I hooked up the pump to the canister and the brakes worked a lot better but then the trans would not shift at all. So then a couple of days ago, I put the transmission line for vacuum back on the hot rod canister and just had the brakes going to the vacuum pump. Everything now works like a new car. I wish I had done this years ago. Then today, I changed out the steering gear which was leaking and had some slack in it for a new one. This car seems to have woke up. It is such a pleasure to drive, I am going to just drive it for awhile. Now the wife can't call it lawn art for awhile because I am actually driving it more often. Just thought we all needed some positive reinforcement for a change.

Kerry

All,

A little back ground here. When I acquired this car a few years ago, it was in bad shape. Floor boards rotted through, not running at all, what you hear about everyday on here. It was a project that was never finished. Upon looking it over, it had a rebuilt engine in it but the tranny needed some work. All the seals were dried up from sitting for the last eighteen to nineteen years. It shifted real hard on the FMX automatic at high revs. If you let up on the gas while going down the road it would shift easier. Well I got the trans rebuilt and it still shifted hard and of course the brakes were a pain in the rear also. Hard to stop. Well I had the trans shop due a vacuum test and of course it was real low. I believe around 11-12 scfm. I was told the cam was too large. I had never open up the engine to see it that were the culprit. Well, I bought a vacuum canister which helped the brakes somewhat and the shifting between the gears. But of course it shifted hard and at higher rpms. I ran it like that for years. I don't drive it a lot.

Anyway, I finally splurged and put in an electric vacuum pump from Stainless Steel Brakes last weekend. I hooked up the pump to the canister and the brakes worked a lot better but then the trans would not shift at all. So then a couple of days ago, I put the transmission line for vacuum back on the hot rod canister and just had the brakes going to the vacuum pump. Everything now works like a new car. I wish I had done this years ago. Then today, I changed out the steering gear which was leaking and had some slack in it for a new one. This car seems to have woke up. It is such a pleasure to drive, I am going to just drive it for awhile. Now the wife can't call it lawn art for awhile because I am actually driving it more often. Just thought we all needed some positive reinforcement for a change.

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

This kit?

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093987-electric-vacuum-pump.html

I gonna use this kit also for more brake power.

Feel now that the brakes are too weak in an emergency.

Eddy

All,

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

This kit?

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093987-electric-vacuum-pump.html

I gonna use this kit also for more brake power.

Feel now that the brakes are too weak in an emergency.

Eddy
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-28146. I actually got mine from Millers Auto Parts in Va Beach, Va. for 285.99 plus tax. And I got it the next day. Total with tax was 303.15. they had one cheaper but I was told this kit works better and will last longer.

Kerry

Do you know how much vacuum your motor produces now? I heard that they are extremely noisy but haven't heard one myself. I had the same problem and went with a reservoir can and that fixed the problem. My motor is making about 11" vac but at 1800 rpm its about 15.5". The can is only hooked up to the brakes and is good for a few cycles with what it holds. I tried this first and then was going to use a pump if it didn't work but it did, cost was around $50 vice around $300.

jbojo,

Not right off the top of my head. The vacuum canister was swirling around in my also. Which one did you purchase?

mustang7173

Do you know how much vacuum your motor produces now? I heard that they are extremely noisy but haven't heard one myself. I had the same problem and went with a reservoir can and that fixed the problem. My motor is making about 11" vac but at 1800 rpm its about 15.5". The can is only hooked up to the brakes and is good for a few cycles with what it holds. I tried this first and then was going to use a pump if it didn't work but it did, cost was around $50 vice around $300.

All,

I went to Competition Cams to look at the Canisters and per jbojo, I will need to look at the my vacuum gauge. According to Competition Cams, it states recommended Canisters at

" Recommended for vehicles with 14” of vacuum or less"

Vacuum Canister - Black Powder Coated Aluminum

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=5200&Category_Code=

A vacuum reserve canister captures an extra shot of vacuum from your engine for your power brakes. The COMP Cams® Vacuum Canisters are for cars equipped with big cams and power brakes.

Canisters double vacuum volume for power brakes

Recommended for vehicles with 14” of vacuum or less

Electric vacuum pump ensures between 18” and 22” of vacuum

Complete vacuum pump kit included wiring, hoses and brackets

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on my brakes recently and tested line pressure with and without the engine running. (to simulate a no vacuum condition. Line pressure without the vacuum assist is fully 1/3 less than with vacuum.

I've read about the SSBC and Comp Cam pumps and the complaint (other than the cost) is that they are loud. I have purchased a Volvo vacuum pump from an XC90 for under $70.00 delivered and will see if I can make it work either with or without the vacuum canister I currently have installed.

I'll report back in a few weeks as to whether I have a successful outcome.

jbojo,

Not right off the top of my head. The vacuum canister was swirling around in my also. Which one did you purchase?

mustang7173

All,

I went to Competition Cams to look at the Canisters and per jbojo, I will need to look at the my vacuum gauge. According to Competition Cams, it states recommended Canisters at

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=5200&Category_Code=

A vacuum reserve canister captures an extra shot of vacuum from your engine for your power brakes. The COMP Cams® Vacuum Canisters are for cars equipped with big cams and power brakes.

mustang7173
This one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1464

Also got a vacuum gauge but not needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3124

I was also running out of space so this is how I mounted it.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Jeff73Mach1,

Thank you for the input.

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

I have been working on my brakes recently and tested line pressure with and without the engine running. (to simulate a no vacuum condition. Line pressure without the vacuum assist is fully 1/3 less than with vacuum.

I've read about the SSBC and Comp Cam pumps and the complaint (other than the cost) is that they are loud. I have purchased a Volvo vacuum pump from an XC90 for under $70.00 delivered and will see if I can make it work either with or without the vacuum canister I currently have installed.

I'll report back in a few weeks as to whether I have a successful outcome.

jbojo,

Wow, That looks pretty good. I believe we all run into no more room issues at times with under the hood space.

Thank you for providing pictures.

mustang7173 :coolphotos:

jbojo,

mustang7173

All,

mustang7173
This one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1464

Also got a vacuum gauge but not needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3124

I was also running out of space so this is how I mounted it.

All,

Does anybody have any pictures of a mounted electric vacuum pump in there mustang? I believe I may need one due to my cam profile.

mustang7173

No pictures but I nearly always added an electric vac pump on my power brake cars with big lumpy cams. Not a big deal noise wise with electric fuel pumps and minimal mufflers . I mounted them near brake booster on rubber standoffs.

Ford dealers used to have them in stock for diesels for around 40 bucks and another 12 for the harness end. Simple and cheap upgrade. Never had one fail.

Partsgeek shows the pump:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/5337-07017433.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1999-2007+Ford+F250+Super+Duty+Vacuum+Pump+Dorman+904-214+99-07+Ford+Vacuum+Pump+2005+2004&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CIzOoJOH1ckCFVQ2aQoddMoBgQ

- Paul of MO

Back