getting rid of seat belt warning light above dashbox???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a fan of the above dashbox seatbelt light in my 73 coupe,,, has anybody else done away with the thing???

I did search the site but came up with nothing on removal,, I found a replacement panel but it is plastic? and mine is metal and part of the dash,,,

I'm repainting my whole dash so now is the time, seems like a good place for a Mustang emblem, or I could bondo and make disappear. Already have repaired a couple of bad dents in other locations..

If yours is the standard interior, then you do not have the plastic trim panels covering the dash area.

Covering the hole with an emblem is cheap and easy. Patching and painting is also an option, but much more involved.

Unfortunately an emblem over the hole will look out of place and just like an emblem covering a hole in the dash...

If you are serious about getting rid of the light, cars built before Dec 1971 will not have the seat belt warning light in the dash (I think) :) .

A lot of work but you could replace part of the dash structure itself.

Good luck.

Ray

It's the first thing most people notice when they sit in my car the first time. I kind of like it. Reminds me of a airplane fasten seat belt sign.
+1

When my car was stolen they kicked out that light (guess they didn't like it either), I finally found one on e-bay and fixed it.

If its the light and buzzer that you don't like just disconnect the connector under the passenger seat and the connector for the seat belt on the drivers side and that should take care of the buzzer and light coming on. My thought is if you ever sell it the buyer may be looking for original so you might want to keep it.

It's the first thing most people notice when they sit in my car the first time. I kind of like it. Reminds me of a airplane fasten seat belt sign.
+1

When my car was stolen they kicked out that light (guess they didn't like it either), I finally found one on e-bay and fixed it.

If its the light and buzzer that you don't like just disconnect the connector under the passenger seat and the connector for the seat belt on the drivers side and that should take care of the buzzer and light coming on. My thought is if you ever sell it the buyer may be looking for original so you might want to keep it.

+1

Ray

What the boys have said above is true, but it's your decision in the end as to what you want to do. That particular panel can be purchased with or without the light setup. My local Mustang parts store in Oz sells them both. Look around for an American supplier, and i'm sure you will find one. Would you believe, that's the way i went myself, replaced the panel with no light.

Ref ......

http://www.mustangautoparts.com.au/dtu71.htm

Cheers,

Greg.:)

replacing the dash panel is way too much work for a light.

converting to deluxe interior to cover it is also way too much work.

covering it with a decal looks out of place.

could remove the bulb and just spray the red seatbelt lens black on both sides and pop it back in, use a semi gloss black so it doesn't stand out.

my light doesn't work. One day I am going to fix it but install a discrete switch so I can turn it on manually. Then at a stop light I can look at the passenger and say 'Hold on' and then turn the light on...

I like the light, I spent a weekend getting mine working like it should.

the easiest way is like 72HCODE said, remove the bulb and paint it.

and like jbojo said, if you sell the car, the next buyer might want the light, I wouldn't remove too much of it.

I am cloning a 72 FB to a Boss 351, I also had to delete the light. I just cut back the wires to the seats and belts, and bought a new dash panel. I kept everything JIC. But if you dont have the plastic panel, I would paint it over as well.

Let's see...cloning a BOSS 351 from a 72.

I tbink it would need:

1) new passenger dash

2) 71-style center-release seats

3) flat shift rod w/ t handle.

4) single-blade grill center mount

5) metal-tab sportlamp pigtails

6) 71- only trunk lid

Those would be some of the tell-tale items I would check to see if it was "real" or not if I was looking to buy one.

Kit,

did all of the Boss 351's have the "71-style center-release seats" or just the ones built before 6/16/71

unless all of the Boss 351's were built before that date.

For some reason I reckon the seat belt light is cool - I love the 70's retro look of it!

I couldn't get mine to work so at all so disconnected the factory wiring and reconnected it using an in-line timer wire so that it lights up for 15 seconds or so when the car is first started.

http://www.snakebite.com.au/seatbeltwarninglighttimer-p-178.html

beltlight001.jpg

For some reason I reckon the seat belt light is cool - I love the 70's retro look of it!

I couldn't get mine to work so at all so disconnected the factory wiring and reconnected it using an in-line timer wire so that it lights up for 15 seconds or so when the car is first started.

http://www.snakebite.com.au/seatbeltwarninglighttimer-p-178.html

beltlight001.jpg
The 'Smiths Classic Gauges' are one of the few I have seen that have the needle orientation the same as our center gauges.

http://www.snakebite.com.au/gaugessmithsclassic-c-20_71.html

It is too bad the water is in centigrade, I might have looked at doing these for may center gauge replacement.

What the boys have said above is true, but it's your decision in the end as to what you want to do. That particular panel can be purchased with or without the light setup. My local Mustang parts store in Oz sells them both. Look around for an American supplier, and i'm sure you will find one. Would you believe, that's the way i went myself, replaced the panel with no light.

Ref ......

http://www.mustangautoparts.com.au/dtu71.htm

Cheers,

Greg that panel can be purchased for cars with deluxe interior

Cars with standard interior have a steel dash - no plastic trim

I still think the standard interior (bare steel, no plastic trim dash) would much easier to simply have a bodyman(or yourself) fill in the hole, and then paint to match. Far easier than replacing the enitire factory dash panel!

Thanks for that Don and Kit.

Sorry everyone, i got it wrong due to my bad memory etc. Yes, the gentleman has said his was a standard dash, so as you have suggested already, repairing around that area would be the best option for him i guess.

My apologies again folks,

Back