Mecum auction conv 72?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Did you see the gold 71 convertible on Mecum that sold for $41,000?

For a 73 Vert from factory I think:

Wheels are wrong. Front bumper wrong, Rear bumper not a 73. Stencil on hood not correct, not sure if verts came with NACA hoods but I see so many so it probably did. Missing Mustang script on fenders and trunk. Missing grill emblem (can't tell if its there). Missing the chrome grill trim. Rear and Front Spoiler correct? Did they have that option? I do like the NACA hood and rear spoiler look though.

For a 73 Vert from factory I think:

Wheels are wrong. Front bumper wrong, Rear bumper not a 73. Stencil on hood not correct, not sure if verts came with NACA hoods but I see so many so it probably did. Missing Mustang script on fenders and trunk. Missing grill emblem (can't tell if its there). Missing the chrome grill trim. Rear and Front Spoiler correct? Did they have that option? I do like the NACA hood and rear spoiler look though.
To add to what John said..

Grill is from a 73...power window master switch on LH door is 71/72 style

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it sold for $40,000. I thought it was 41,000 when I saw it on TV. They called it a 71 Mustang GT. See if this link works. You might have to log in with mecum to view the price it sold for.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AU1214-198652
Holy CRAP. That shyster found someone to buy into the horse*hit Frank Cone story at the tune of $40,000?

I've got a FC/GT parts car for the fools who bid on that thing. Only $5,000.

-Kurt

Did you see the gold 71 convertible on Mecum that sold for $41,000?
Nope. Post it if you have a link. THX

Ray
I guess it sold for $40,000. I thought it was 41,000 when I saw it on TV. They called it a 71 Mustang GT. See if this link works. You might have to log in with mecum to view the price it sold for.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AU1214-198652

I see. THAT GOLD ONE sure looks familiar...

:angel:

:whistling:

I see NOTHING!!!!! :)

Back to the red car - quickly :)

OK I still really think it is a 72.

Some things have been mentioned above then here are some things that jumped out at me- a little overlap with stuff above but here goes...

The grill and bright headlight surrounds are 73 - grill slightly modified - emblem painted black and surround painted black or just left off.

The front bumper is probably the original one for the 72 conv - if the car was a 73 it wold have been a pain to change to a chrome 71-72 type chrome front. Also the 73 bumpers would have been changed to 71 or 72 to accommodate the 71-2 type chrome bumper. The tailights are 71 -72 type and not the (no trim edge blackout) 73 type.

All 71-3 convertibles received taillight black applique with bright trim moulding as standard equipment. Not the plain look you see.

All 72 and 73 convertibles received deluxe molded door trim panels as standard equipment.

I have never seen any Mustang with standard interior with power windows.

And I thought all power window equipped cars received rear powered roll-down windows as well. If equipped with manual windows, Sportsroof's and Mach 1's would have rear windows fixed in place with no option to roll down. Anyway - I see window cranks on the rear windows and I think they should be powered.

When cars are this confusing and advertised as something they appear not to be - if still interested - time to check title against VINS everywhere! Door and dash, then pull a fender - maybe both - Check partial VINS on engine and trans - hope they match :). I would even try and match emissions sticker with correct motor (see our WIKI if you don't know) to help determine year. Could also check buck tag (hopefully it is there).

Seat using incorrect material (Common repop replacement) should also have 'buttons/diamonds' in seats - Scott Drake reproduces them.

side stripes incorrect for car

car should have lower body brightwork

should not have exhaust cutouts or duals

Just to try to ensure you are getting what you are paying for!

wow -

Ray

I have never seen any Mustang with standard interior with power windows.
And I thought all power window equipped cars received rear powered roll-down windows as well. If equipped with manual windows, Sportsroof's and Mach 1's would have rear windows fixed in place with no option to roll down. Anyway - I see window cranks on the rear windows and I think they should be powered.
Good catch, Ray. Also notice that the car has Deluxe door pulls, which suggests that it probably had Deluxe interior door panels at one time, and were swapped to standard panels out of cost or convenience.

This is definitely a car assembled out of the parts bin, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, so long as there are buyers willing to pay upwards of $10,000 for a car put together without much love and care, we'll continue to see them on the marketplace.

When cars are this confusing and advertised as something they appear not to be - if still interested - time to check title against VINS everywhere! Door and dash, then pull a fender - maybe both - Check partial VINS on engine and trans - hope they match :). I would even try and match emissions sticker with correct motor (see our WIKI if you don't know) to help determine year. Could also check buck tag (hopefully it is there).
+1,000. I've been scratching some of the bottom-barrel local stuff as of recent, and more than one have left me doubting the validity of the VIN.

All one needs is a replacement dashboard with title and a punch set to make one car another - that's the scary thing.

-Kurt

Back