1973 forged aluminum wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

I got offered some '73 forged aluminum wheels in decent shape - they need a bit polishing but that's ok. They would be come with 6 original center caps too - quite cool! And they are 14x7 inches.

Do you think by the pictures below they are original ones? Do you have some pictures to compare?

I see that the black stripe is missing and the blackening in the slots from what I know - the original owner has glass-pearl-water-blasted them years ago...

Thanks,

Tim

Those look original. The black trim stripe is easy enough to repaint. I used a top quality gloss black enamel with a good brush and wiped the top of the trim slot with lacquer soaked rag to clean any sloppy overbrushing. The slots were NOT painted.

You may want to run a thread tap down the center cap threads. Original factory mounting screws were plain steel which usually resulted in corrosion between the aluminum and steel. Use new stainless steel screws and some 'Never-seize' to mount the center caps when you are ready.

They appear to be correct. Were they bead blasted or somehow cleaned on the fronts? They are missing the black ring around the outer part but the groove appears to be there. Also I thought these rims were 14 x 6.5 but could be wrong. A lot of members have these rims so they can confirm I have mine in storage and I can go and compare them with your pics if you don't get further confirmation. Been a long time since I really took a close look at them.

Those look original. The black trim stripe is easy enough to repaint. I used a top quality gloss black enamel with a good brush and wiped the top of the trim slot with lacquer soaked rag to clean any sloppy overbrushing. The slots were NOT painted.

You may want to run a thread tap down the center cap threads. Original factory mounting screws were plain steel which usually resulted in corrosion between the aluminum and steel. Use new stainless steel screws and some 'Never-seize' to mount the center caps when you are ready.
Hi Bill,

thank you for your reply and the tips, very helpful!

I will use new stainless steel screws / lugs. What do you mean with "never-seize"?

They appear to be correct. Were they bead blasted or somehow cleaned on the fronts? They are missing the black ring around the outer part but the groove appears to be there. Also I thought these rims were 14 x 6.5 but could be wrong. A lot of members have these rims so they can confirm I have mine in storage and I can go and compare them with your pics if you don't get further confirmation. Been a long time since I really took a close look at them.
Hi Jbojo,

thanks for your reply. Yes, they were water-glass-pearl-blasted some time ago so they have this light-matte finish. I think they are easy to polish by myself, do they?

Tim

Those look like the ones...

I have a couple sets and they both have the same markings on back of them as your pic. Try getting some mothers polish and wiping on them, you will be amazed at how they shine up. Nice score!

I have a couple sets and they both have the same markings on back of them as your pic. Try getting some mothers polish and wiping on them, you will be amazed at how they shine up. Nice score!
Hi Jeff,

sounds good, thank you - I am looking forward to polishing them by watching TV as I did many years ago with my old volkswagen bus hub caps :D

I think 500 bucks with caps aren't a bad deal for them...

Tim

Hi Jeff,

sounds good, thank you - I am looking forward to polishing them by watching TV as I did many years ago with my old volkswagen bus hub caps :D

Tim
Tim,

I think that's a good score on those rims. "Never seize" is also known as "Anti seize". Prevents 2 dissimilar metals from corroding and seizing.

I have had several sets all with somewhat different markings. These markings are the easiest to interpret. To be fair, I saw that on two, a couple that looked like yours and a handfull with no clear markings. Nice looking wheels, good luck with the polishing.

of95rb.jpg

Hey guys,

I got offered some '73 forged aluminum wheels in decent shape - they need a bit polishing but that's ok. They would be come with 6 original center caps too - quite cool! And they are 14x7 inches.

Do you think by the pictures below they are original ones? Do you have some pictures to compare?

I see that the black stripe is missing and the blackening in the slots from what I know - the original owner has glass-pearl-water-blasted them years ago...

Thanks,

I have posted this before, Be careful buying used factory aluminum wheels because they might be from a Maverick or Comet GT.(THESE WHEELS HAVE SMALLER CENTER HOLES) and will not fit a mustang. When I ordered my 73 conv. with aluminum wheels everybody said to me that they were too expensive. Very few 73's came from the factory with these wheels.

My sister had a new 1975 COMET GT with aluminum wheels, that looked like my 73 wheels but had the small center hole. (I think they were included in 1975 COMET GT) FORD sold more Mavericks and Comets with these wheels because they were available for a number of years. Hope this is helpful.

As Jbojo noted, 'Anti-seize' or 'Never-seize' is a inexpensive compound you apply to threads and helps prevent fasteners from seizing up due to corrosion over time. Pretty much essential for your work bench.

Hi Jeff,

Tim
Tim,

I think that's a good score on those rims. "Never seize" is also known as "Anti seize". Prevents 2 dissimilar metals from corroding and seizing.

As Jbojo noted, 'Anti-seize' or 'Never-seize' is a inexpensive compound you apply to threads and helps prevent fasteners from seizing up due to corrosion over time. Pretty much essential for your work bench.
Ah, now I know, thank you, guys. I have something similar - I use usually "copper paste", for example for the headers bolts. I think it is quite the same, is it?

I have had several sets all with somewhat different markings. These markings are the easiest to interpret. To be fair, I saw that on two, a couple that looked like yours and a handfull with no clear markings. Nice looking wheels, good luck with the polishing.

of95rb.jpg
Thanks ;)

Tim

I have posted this before, Be careful buying used factory aluminum wheels because they might be from a Maverick or Comet GT.(THESE WHEELS HAVE SMALLER CENTER HOLES) and will not fit a mustang. When I ordered my 73 conv. with aluminum wheels everybody said to me that they were too expensive. Very few 73's came from the factory with these wheels.

My sister had a new 1975 COMET GT with aluminum wheels, that looked like my 73 wheels but had the small center hole. (I think they were included in 1975 COMET GT) FORD sold more Mavericks and Comets with these wheels because they were available for a number of years. Hope this is helpful.
Hi,

yes, thank you, this is very helpful. That's an aspect I did not think of! But the previous owner had several 71-73s and had them installed so I think they should fit. But that is an important question I will ask him!

Thank you,

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mothers metal polish and the polishing ball on my drill... they shine up great.
Sounds good, thanks - yours looking good :)

Btw: I have something found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/301423928051?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is it yours?

Tim
THANKS TIM... yes that is the article on my car from Mustang Monthly. Are they allowed to sell that on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter??

Great find... how did you find that?

Good question - but that is not something unusual - there are many articles like this on ebay... I think when you gave your accordance to the publisher to produce an article in a magazine every buyer of that could sell it again. If it is not in direct relationship with your personal datas...

I am looking every now and then for "mustang t5" on ebay (also international) because of mine is a T5 too like yours. And there are always pieces out there which you could need as a spare... ;) So I came up looking at this ad and was wondering like: "hey, this guy you know perhaps". It must be the one with this hat and this strength in his glimpse... :D

Tim

Btw:

Do you have some closed-up pictures of your rims? Are they originals too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have some closed-up pictures of your rims? Are they originals too?
Here is a pic of mine Tim...I need to re-paint the black stripe.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Here are a few pictures of mine:
Thank you both - I love them!

Good reference - which size of tires do you run on them?

Back