idle rise after first rev

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeenl

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I'm sure this is something simple on the carb, but I'm not familiar with all the different adjustments and connections. I read a couple posts, but none of them seemed to be the same to me.

I believe the carb has a vacuum choke, but I have just capped all the vacuum lined to the carb up until now. Its the edelbrock performer 4v, and I believe it was 650cfm if I remember correctly. The consequence of me capping everything for now is that it runs all 4 jets all the time. I'm also assuming it leaves the choke non-functioning.

Anyways, I start the vehicle. Idle seems just right, and doesn't change unless I give it a little throttle. As soon as I give it any throttle (from either the pedal or the carb directly), the idle jumps up about 15%.

I've also pushed the throttle on the carb the opposite way to check that the linkage isn't binding somewhere. It doesn't come back at all.

Is this an adjustment? Anyone have a vacuum diagram? It is a 351W, not a 351C.

if pushing the throttle in the return direction does nothing for you it sounds like a choke adjustment like the carb is on a high idle cam not allowing it to return to the low idle. if you pump it while its cold and start it does it run at the higher setting or lower? these are first guesses going on a lot of assumptions. You will get more and better feedback if you would be wiling to post mroe specs. Carb make? Manual or automatic coke? Pictures would be AWESOME. Thanks and keep us posted.

Chirs

Here are some pictures. Only problem now is that it won't start. I went through this before, and it is acting exactly like it did when I rebuilt the airhorn assembly on the carb.

I know it's fuel and not spark because it will fire up for a second with starter fluid. I know fuel is making it to the carb because of the clear inline fuel filter I put in last time it did this.

I rebuilt the airhorn because the float pins seemed to stick ever so slightly. When I did the rebuild I noted that I did not like the triangular shape of the float pins in the carb because it still seemed to stick a little even with the brand new parts. After that rebuild it started every time for the past 2 months, including just yesterday.

Now I'm bathing in the frustration of getting past one set of issues just to dive right back in to an old one. Now I hope to wash that off with the wisdom of this forum.

20150102_125929.jpg

20150102_125919.jpg

20150102_125944.jpg

20150102_130007.jpg

Happened to me

I verified fuel was at filter but not in bowl by taking the top off the carb.

So it was the needle sticking in the seat not allowing fuel into the bowl.

Remedy was to emery cloth the three sides of the needle so it would no

longer stick.

Good Luck

Paul

Sounds like a fast idle adjustment is needed.

Don't know where to find it on the Edelbrock.

My car would start without tapping the gas, but

if you tapped the gas it would jump to 2100 RPM.

I can see your electric choke, another option would

be to turn on the key but not start it, after a few

seconds the choke would have backed off a bit.

mike

Well, I didn't mess with it until today since it was a busy week with work. I took the carb off again and went ahead and rebuilt everything with the rest of the kit I hadn't used (except the choke parts). Got it all back together, put it on, and went to try and fire it up. Threw in a little starter fluid for good measure when I put the air cleaner back on. In classic project fashion, I went to start it, and...nothing. Maybe the battery is dead?

I threw it on a charger, and the charger never convinced me it was doing anything. I hate the battery charger I have. I would like to get one that confirms it is actually in the process of charging. Any advice on that?

Besides some connections having degraded over the last week, anything I might be overlooking? I'm going to have a shop check my battery for good measure while I'm at work tomorrow.

Back