transmission and rear end question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlowry809

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hey guys

So I am working on setting up the engine and drive train for my 71 mach 1. I am going to put in a 71 M code 351C. Its been bored .030 and I plan on leaving it there, just a light honing to clean it up. I plan on putting in a mid performance can, either a 650 or 750 edelbrock carb, and some nice headers. I dont plan on making this a High Performance motor.

First question is will my C4 tranny be enough or should I go with a C6.I am going to rebuild it so I can upgrade some parts.

Second, what is the best 8.8 rear end to swap. I haven't found anything for our mustangs. All the articles are for 68 or older. Mine has a 8 inch but I want to switch over to disk brakes. I can get a 8.8 from a 98 mustang GT for $300. Includes brakes and a 1 year warranty. I believe they measure at 60.8 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stick with the stock 8"-incher and just put a locking center section in. It is plenty durable enough for what you have in mind. SSBC makes a disc-brake conversion kit that will bolt right up.

A nicely built C-4 is the way to go. It is far lighter and more efficient than the pig-heavy C-6, and it will provide you with vreat service.

Are you switching to discs for ultimate performance, or just because you want the "cool" factor?

The stock drums will give great service if set up right.

First question is will my C4 tranny be enough or should I go with a C6.

Second, what is the best 8.8 rear end to swap.
Why not consider an AOD? If you're swapping axles, find an 8.8 with 3.73's and use the AOD for the best of both worlds. I think Turtle has an 8.8 in his car, I'd imagine he'll be around shortly.

Otherwise, a C4 is more than sufficient if you have one already. The 8" should also be fine, as Kit said.

Consider the depth of your wallet also. Swaps can get pricey...

I want the disk brakes for over all stopping power. And I haven't decided on the rear end yet. My brother is an awsome mechanic/fabricator and he told me to look into them for them. I don't know what my rear end is set up is, I havnt pulled it yet and I believe my tag is gone. I'm jacking it up to get ready and replace my quarter panel skin tomorrow so I will be able to give it a good look.

On a side note my brother pulled a v8 out of an old Tbird and was able to hook it up in his buggy tranny. He has since swapped it out for a motor out of a ford focus and turbocharged it. He is smart when it comes to that stuff.

I also havnt looked into aftermarket drums yet.

I have the same set up Hi-Pro cam, edelbrock carb, headers, shift kit, Hi-pro torque converter & rebuilt trans. A few of my friends have told me to go to a rear end shop and change gears/ add pozzi. I've been wondering what I should do.

The 8 inch is plenty strong. But if your dead set on a gear change, posi, and disc brakes. The 8.8 out of a ford explorer is a good way to go. You get 31 spline axles, disc brakes, 3.73 gears, and posi in one shot. If you can do minor fabricating and welding, its a pretty easy swap. Do a search on here. Theres a few threads on here with good info on the subject. Here is one.... http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-9-rear-end-swap-pre-questions

As far as a tranny, I am running a c4 with no problems. But hopefully in the future I will be swapping in an OD tranny.

Price wise, an 8.8 is best bang for your buck. By the time you buy gears, posi, and disc brake conversion for an 8 inch you will easily have over $1000 in it. You can get a good used explorer 8.8 for $250 or less. Have driveshaft modified $150 or less?? Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!!

The major issue with Explorer 8.8's is the fact that the pumpkin will not be in the center of the car. One axle shaft is quite a bit longer than the other. I've had two friends try the swap (1964 Falcon and 1966 Mustang) both have needed to modify the floor for clearance of the driveshaft tube. If you get a proper driveline shop shorten the one axle tube to center the pumpkin, then it would be the best option. But then that's more money and then you will need some custom length axles, etc. It just starts to add up to a lot of money.

I believe building a nice 8" is the best option. You can add disc brakes if you want to but they are not really needed. Gears and differential options are plentiful and they handle plenty of power.

The major issue with Explorer 8.8's is the fact that the pumpkin will not be in the center of the car. One axle shaft is quite a bit longer than the other. I've had two friends try the swap (1964 Falcon and 1966 Mustang) both have needed to modify the floor for clearance of the driveshaft tube. If you get a proper driveline shop shorten the one axle tube to center the pumpkin, then it would be the best option. But then that's more money and then you will need some custom length axles, etc. It just starts to add up to a lot of money.

I believe building a nice 8" is the best option. You can add disc brakes if you want to but they are not really needed. Gears and differential options are plentiful and they handle plenty of power.
The trick for the explorers is you get two, use both driver sides, then weld it back together. Its a lot easier than modifying your floor. Or get a rear end from a mid 90s mustang. They have the non ofset 8.8 with good gears, limited slip, and disk brakes in one shot for $300.

I found my tag and its a 28 spline open housing with 3.00 gearing. I havnt decided what I'm doing for a rear end yet.

The driveshaft clears the tunnel easily in a 71-73. I did no other modification other than the driveshaft itself. The center is offset but I have never had an issue with mine in the 5 years its been in there.

Hey everyone, I was looking for some advise on my new set up I have planned for my 73. The new motor is at the machine shop and will be a 466ci with 550 hp and

545ft/lbs of torque at 4800 rpm.

I found a 9" rear end that is about 3/4" shorter width than my stock 8" rear. I assume the 3/8" (each side) difference wont matter and allow me to tuck some wider/bigger tires underneath. The Third Member has 2.69 gears. Looks like it will be a smooth ride on the highway, but allow me to light em up from a stop if I feel like it. Problem is the gears are open and not posi. I am spending so much on the motor...I need to keep the costs down a little on the drivetrain.

ANY info will help...thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you!

Back