Austin Vert Gets The Blues.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hey people,

i just couldn't let this one go, and had to make comment in passing about the interior color situation with my newly acquired '73 Mach 1.

Over the last couple of days, i've got stuck in and decided to detail up the whole interior of the Mustang. This action has a duel purpose, as it allows me to get to know the car intimately as well. For those who don't know, this car is a very original one, and has been very well looked after all it's life. This is the first time i have seen an original blue interior in a 123, Mach 1.

The blue interior is all factory original, and is in fantastic shape, but here's the interesting twist - going over the inside, i was quite surprised to realize just how many different shades of blue there are around the inside. As well, the differences in color are quite dramatic too, not subtle. In brief, the door pads , dash pad, remaining dash area, dash fascia panels, center console, console clock panel, kick panels, all seats, head lining, rear quarter wall trims, floor carpet, rear decking carpet, are all different shades of blue. Holy Toledo! -- Was that the way they were churned out in the factory back then? Maybe the different colored plastics or paints used back then age and change color differently in time. Damned if i know.:huh:

Don't get me wrong, i don't expect everything in the interior to be exactly the same spot on color,that would end up being bland and boring, but the dramatic variations all over the inside are crazy. I wouldn't attempt to try and upgrade or improve this color variation situation from where it is now, as i would not want to ruin an original interior in such good condition.

So out of interest, does anyone out there have a same or similar situation with their original colored interiors as i do.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Hi Greg thank you four charing This off your beauteful Ride 😎 Yes i have the same in My Mustang [WINKING FACE] Mine whas ginger Carpent which had the same isius aswell. So I think why that it's is so difference is because off the clining and the sun is hard to enny collerd meterior[WINKING FACE] And That i think maybe there iss A difference in the plastik it's self. But I have now Black carpet and My Plastic is my plan to paint Black aswell[WINKING FACE] Regards Lars

Regards DK73

I recon the different types of plastic in the interior age differently with UV light.

I've got a load vintage guitars and the white plastics on them have changed colour in different ways. On some guitars the pickup covers are white and the pick guards have turned beige.

And as your car is a convertible, the interior plastics will have had plenty of UV on them over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recon the different types of plastic in the interior age differently with UV light.

I've got a load vintage guitars and the white plastics on them have changed colour in different ways. On some guitars the pickup covers are white and the pick guards have turned beige.

And as your car is a convertible, the interior plastics will have had plenty of UV on them over the years.
+1

No doubt about it, all materials and finishes will age differently as well as the same material changing color differently due to different amounts of exposure to UV as Mark points out.

This just adds character! :D

JHawk

71Mach-1int80s_zps4813f1dc.jpg

A picture from about 81, right before I put the shorty console back in the car. The previous owner found it in a box in his garage, and gave it to me when I had the car painted.

The biggest color change were the two panels at the trapdoor, the blue didn't like the Texas sun. Or the p.o. cutting speaker holes...

Those small boxes were an ancient form of music storage called cassettes, and an archaic photo format called film...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back